Super Dust Deputy/Delta 50-760
I've been considering adding a Super DD to my Delta set up and was wondering if anyone out there has tried this combination and if so, how it worked. The Super DD is the one recommended for 1 to 3 HP collectors. I currently go directly to my table saw with 4" flex, but want to add 4" hard pipe and the option of at least two more locations.

I'd have rearrange my set up a bit to accommodate the height of the DD and dust barrel, but want to find out if the combination works well before I do anything else. Thanks.
I made a Thein separator and added it to my 50-760 a few years back. For the cost of a metal trash can, a few bolts, some scrap ply and hardboard, it has been awesome. Can't remember the last time I emptied the plastic bag and the trash can rides around on the collector unit.
http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
Thanks JackW, that's good news. I've considered the Thein separator too, but never seem to find the time to see what it takes to build. Did you spend much time building it?
I did the same as Jack, haven't looked back. Course, I had a large barrel hanging around, so that helped on the cost side. It was done in an afternoon, though can't recall whether it was one hour, three or in between. The one downside is that I have not been very successful in coming up with a way to figure out when the separator is full, but as soon as i see shavings go into the bottom bag of the collector, I empty the separator.
Have to remember this thread. Thanks
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
www.timbershavings.com
I have a 50 gallon steel barrel for my cyclone. I cut a couple windows in it and then covered the windows with clear plastic.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I replaced my Thien separator on my 50-760 with a Super DD. The Super DD is definitely superior. Worth every penny.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I got tired of the Wynn canister filter that I added to my Delta clogging and reducing the suction of my collector. I also didn't love emptying the collection bag, which usually left me covered in dust. I added the Super Dust Deputy and it solved both issues. I used a galvanized trash can to mount the SDD and raised the Delta to give me room underneath to house it. The only thing I would do differently is to buy the SDD directly from Oneida and get their fittings to connect to your system (rather than buying from Woodcraft, where they did not have the fittings). The input and output of the SDD are odd sizes and it took a lot of work to craft something that fit out of locally available parts.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of comparison I was hoping for. I'll probably pick up an SDD at Menards in Chicago. Wondering though, what fittings were missing when not bought through Oneida?

I also thought I'd raise up the housing of the DC to make room for an unused shop vac container below the SDD. I have a very low ceiling height, so am thinking of hanging the filter bag down (where the plastic bag usually is) and just seal off the top opening, but I'm a little concerned with how much dust might collect in the filter bag. With the SDD connected, how much dust do you normally get?
If you don't mind me jumping in and hijacking the thread a bit, how did you raise up the Delta? Any pics of the end result? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.