Drillnado

Has anyone used the Drillnado dust collection gadget and, if so, how well does it work? Drill press DC is always a problem for me. Probably not alone. Thnx.
I saw it at the Hartville show a few months back.

It does work for drilling with most common bits, not sure how well it would work for sanding.

My big issue is that I do not typically use the DP for more than a few minutes at a time, and hooking up my shop vac for just a few minutes work is probably not going to happen often.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
i bought it at the NJ woodworking show-- they guy demo'ing it was using a tabletop drill press and a festool vac... worked awesome!
I tried it at home on my floor standing DP (16.5"), worked awful. Turns out it's because the quill is too big on my dp to allow the chips thru. I wrote to them and they are going to send me an industrial version (due out this month). So for a smaller dp, it probably works great.

Colin
Interesting....guess I'd have to have a lot of work for it to justify setting it up.
Link for those of us who need a clue
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks to WT for the clue.

It seems like a nice idea, but one with a lot of limitations, some noted on their website and some not. I can see it being nice for drilling small holes, if they’re not close enough to the edge that the dust hood interferes with the fence and if the dust hood doesn’t make it difficult to see to line the workpiece up with the bit. Two big “ifs.”

It offers no solution to the mountain of chips generated by large Forstner bits. That’s a place where some good chip collection would be nice, and I haven’t seen a really good convenient solution.

I’m skeptical about how effective it would be collecting dust from a sanding drum. If you use sanding drums on the drill press, I think there are better ways to collect dust, e.g., a dust-collection base, like one described by Nagyszalanczy in the “Taunton Guide to Jigs and Fixtures.”
Paul-in-Plymouth said:

Thanks to WT for the clue.

It seems like a nice idea, but one with a lot of limitations, some noted on their website and some not. I can see it being nice for drilling small holes, if they’re not close enough to the edge that the dust hood interferes with the fence and if the dust hood doesn’t make it difficult to see to line the workpiece up with the bit. Two big “ifs.”

It offers no solution to the mountain of chips generated by large Forstner bits. That’s a place where some good chip collection would be nice, and I haven’t seen a really good convenient solution.

I’m skeptical about how effective it would be collecting dust from a sanding drum. If you use sanding drums on the drill press, I think there are better ways to collect dust, e.g., a dust-collection base, like one described by Nagyszalanczy in the “Taunton Guide to Jigs and Fixtures.”

The guy at the ww'ing show had a tabletop DP, with a forstner bit-- maybe about 1" or so... worked great. Again, i haven't had the same success, as i have a larger DP... less room for the shavings to get thru.

Colin
The Drillnado website says Forstner bits larger than 1.5" will likely clog the Drillnado.
I use a piece of 4" flex hose laying on the table.
I rarely feel the need for DC at the drill press. Most bits produce chips and not the sort of air born dust that I worry about. Chips I can sweep away in no time. For drum sanding or similar when I DO want DC, I have a flexible hose that clamps nearby and does okay.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure