How would you make this?
Want to make this to display art pieces. Where I saw it the plan was for a 10 inch by 10 inch. But I want it to be approx. 4 foot by 4 foot

How would you make it? And hang it?

I was thinking for hanging some of these from Rockler Only problem is they say wood has to be 1 1/8 thick at least to fully hide and I was really thinking 3/4 or so because I didn't want it to be too over powering

In the original plans they did the cut a slot half way thru each board (whatever you call that) and place together.

I was thinking domino each board instead. Leave horizontal long and cut vertical and domino

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks

Robert

I'd do the halving joints as they did and use keyhole hangers.
Agreed, especially with 3/4 stock.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I would do dovetails if it were me. You can do the keyhole hangers or use a keyhole router bit right in the wood. I do that on shelves all the time. May have to use some sort of anchor if studs do not line up.
John T.
I've done a knock down book shelf that's about 6'x6' with the lap type joint (cut half way through each board) and it worked well. My tip is to make a template, and don't make the cut in one pass. For instance, for a 3/4" board use a 1/2" bit and take two passes.
DaveR1 said:

I'd do the halving joints as they did and use keyhole hangers.

+1 Half-lap joints and keyhole hangers.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
Half laps with dados. That keeps the open ends from curling as the humidity changes. +1 on the keyhole hangers. Simple, strong, and hidden.

John
Thanks all
+1

Half lapping the joints is the right way to go. Much sturdier than trying to tack together a bunch of small pieces.

One way to insure tight half laps is to mill the boards just a whisker thick, cut the half laps, then use a wide belt or drum sander to sand them until they fit perfectly.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
You can tell that is how those were done. But that is not 3/4" material. Probably 1/2" to make it look lighter. Need to find a smaller keyhole router bit. They do make them. I use them all the time.
John T.