Pebble stone epoxy
I have a patio that has been resurfaced with pebble stone epoxy. I hate the stuff. The little pebbles continually come loose, get stuck in your shoes and get tracked into the house scratching my hardwood floors. I know the proper solution is to remove the entire patio and pour a new one. But that's not in the budget for now - maybe in a few years. Is it possible to use a mortar mix to cover the old surface? I'm thinking a thin skim coat and then sealing it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Bob
Why not chip off the epoxy coating? Haven't tried it, but I'd imagine it would come up about like old thinset. Chip off most and then grind off the rest with a diamond cup wheel.

Afterwards, recoat with an epoxy paint or a skim coat of a cement product.

Anything would be cheaper than a new patio.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have thought of that route. If I don't absolutely need to remove the old I'd rather not. The overall plan is to enlarge the patio. But that won't happen for a few more years. Your suggestion confirms my original thought. Thanks
Since the pebbles are not firmly affixed to the epoxy, it would make a poor base for another surface. Like tiling over a gravel driveway.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You are correct about the loose pebbles. My thinking was to do an aggressive power wash first to get rid of any loose stone and then proceed with a mortar mix. You are talking me into the direction I was hoping to avoid. I guess I need to take my own advise and do it right the first time.
Get yourself a rotary hammer. Set it to hammer mode, it will make the job much easier. I have a Harbor Freight one that has worked well for me for a few years.
crokett™ said:

Get yourself a rotary hammer. Set it to hammer mode, it will make the job much easier. I have a Harbor Freight one that has worked well for me for a few years.

+1

The sell a wide blade. Maybe 2" wide. Chip away. Get knee pads.

Finish off with a diamond cup wheel in an angle grinder. You can work wet since its outside.

Takes a while, but its not that difficult.

Standard epoxies do not take heat all that well. Some will suffer heat deflection at 120 degrees F, though there are some thermoset epoxies that are more heat resistant.

On a warm day with the sun baking on the surface try using a heat gun to soften the epoxy and scrape it off.

On the other hand some epoxies will cross link at 350 degrees and doing this might actually make the bond stronger. Try a small section first.

I have no personal experience with this I am reporting what I've read over the years.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
crokett™ said:

You can also probably rent one with a big wide blade. My local shop has up to 8" wide bits and I used one once to peel up several hundred square feet of tile stuck down to cement and it did the work in under 2 hours.
Okay you guys talked me into doing it the right way. Thanks much.