Best router bit set for making divided lite windows?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good router bit set for making divided lite exterior windows?

Thanks.

Charlie
"The best marriage advice I ever received was: 'You can live with ugly, but bad cooking can kill you.'" Uncle Albert Styndl
If you have more than 1 or 2 to do, I'd suggest looking into getting a shaper.
Other than that, I saw some Whiteside sash bits that did a really nice job-
http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/
If I recall I bought the cutters from either Amana or Whiteside.
The set I bought has two separate cutters.Their is another type that has one cutter.Only have used the 2 piece set.They work well,made 9 windows for my shop,and another total of 22 windows for other shops and a shed.
One thing I learned quickly, only use quarter sawn stock for the mullions and muntins.I even use quarter sawn stock for the sash itself.I enjoyed making the windows,I hated puttying them.
mike
I bought a set of Infinity bits and made windows for my shed. They worked well.

I have been planing on making some windows out of walnut and cherry and putting mirrows in them, but just havnt got around to that yet.
Unless you already have the shaper I'd say best, and certainly lowest price is a Whiteside 6050

Next I'll explain why you should order it from Brian in sunny Fl here at WoodNet, also known as Holbren.

Amazon has them for the exact same price, but if you ask them for the "WoodNet discount" they just look at you funny. Now Brian takes money off your order for you So same is less
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks everyone. The Whiteside set from Holbren looks like exactly what I need.

The next question is wood type. These will be exterior casement windows, approximately 2' x 4', with 8 lites, painted inside and out. I obviously want something strong that will handle the weather well, but I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any insights you can share (in addition to Mike's recommendation for QS stock for the mullions and muntins) would be much appreciated.
"The best marriage advice I ever received was: 'You can live with ugly, but bad cooking can kill you.'" Uncle Albert Styndl
A large proportion of exterior windows that are "painted" (non clad) are simply white wood, Pine, Fir Spruce, SYP, etc. With these unless it is PT it requires a good seal coat of primer, followed with 2 to 3 exterior coats, and then regular maintenance. Down South they have better access to Cypress, and it weathers very well, North is more Western Red Cedar, WO, maybe black locust.

Back to the whitewood, if well covered it will do well, and a lot of windows are made of it throughout America. Modern day new it's heavily clad with metal, or vinyl. Lot's of answers, and for most location will likely have something to do with the choice.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As far as wood species for your windows,depends on availability.
Cedar,cyprus and redwood are three that are weather resistant but not dense. Black locust is very weather resistant but not generally carried.I have used white pine ,Luan and recently Ipe.All of the last three are good choices.I am in South Jersey and buy at a hardwood yard that also makes components for the boating industry.
When I questioned the owner about using Luan,Steve said we make boats from it,should be good enough for windows.
My shop windows are made from Luan,still look good after 20+ years.
There are some woods to stay away from.Red Oak, and Poplar are two I know of. I made outside corner boards for one job and used poplar.Well painted etc.Had to replace them after 6 years at my cost.
I made a heavy mallet from Red Oak for a friend used to split logs with a froe.
He left the mallet out in the weather all the time and it began to rot after a year or so.
White Oak would have lasted a long time.
mike
If you need it, I paid someone to make dimensional drawings for all of the Whiteside bits, still need to load about 100 but here is the one for the bit in question if it helps.

Spanish Cedar holds up pretty well for sash, and other exterior uses. I bought retail Spanish Cedar for $7.00/ bf retail in Connecticut this week. For sash, that's about $14.00 in wood per window for wood that lasts a long time.