One more drawer construction question
Moving forward from last post, I've got poplar in 4/4 rough, dry to 8%. I've Jointed and began surface planning. Thickness is 7/8 now. Widths are rough sawn to 7 1/2 inches, drawer parts will be 7 inches wide, 5/8 thick when completed.
My question, is 7 1/2 too wide, inviting cupping? If so, how to solve it at this early stage. Secondly, at what width should one rip narrower and make glue up?
I don't think 7 1/2" is too wide for 8% MC Poplar, especially of using DT joinery.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
You're fine with it the width it is. I do rip and glue on occasion (I can hear the screams now) but I wouldn't in this case.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If they don't cup within a day of your planing them to 5/8", they will remain stable. If they cup, then the 8% measurement was just a surface measurement and not the measurement deeper into the wood. Then you may need to rip, rejoint, and glue them up. If you don't want to waste any wood, you can plane one board to 5/8", see if it cups, then proceed from there. If it cups, then consider stickering and weighing down all the boards and let them spend a couple more weeks drying out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Not meaning to sound like a smart aleck, but if its not warping, its not too wide.

You should be OK as long as you plane equal amounts to get to your thickness.

Definitely sticker between millings and don't take more than 1/16 from each side.
rwe2156 said:

Not meaning to sound like a smart aleck, but if its not warping, its not too wide.

Which should prove to be interesting if he takes that stock down to 5/8 or less.....

there is a good reason to buy drawer stock much closer to final thickness
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

[blockquote]rwe2156 said:

Which should prove to be interesting if he takes that stock down to 5/8 or less.....

there is a good reason to buy drawer stock much closer to final thickness

[/blockquote]

There was one time when the local lumber guy had some thin poplar that worked out, but normaly 1" is the thinnest your going to get.

If I have a lot of drawers, I get 8/4 lumber, resaw and let set for a week or more before milling down to 5/8". That usually gives me some thinner pannels that I use for drawer bottoms.