How to make lower nightstand shelf
Would you make the whole shelf, cut square holes and push the legs through, or tack on a trim board around a smaller shelf?

" />
Tack trim around shelf would be the easiest.
Well, Bye...
Being painted as the pic is, I'd go the tack on the trim route. You wouldn't even need to use the same species, or if you intended light use, you could use MDF. Any cracks could be filled before paining with Bondo, or Durhams Rock hard, which is my choice.

Stained, dyed, or colored natural I believe you would have a tell line that may not look so flattering.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I'd probably build the shelf as the bottom of the piece and tenon the legs into the bottom.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

I'd probably build the shelf as the bottom of the piece and tenon the legs into the bottom.

I also would make the shelf as one piece. I would use a single large dowel though. I think it would be just as strong and easier to do.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would not have thought of attaching the legs to the shelf. THANK YOU for the replies. --Peter