Now what?????
First largish piece of apple that didn't self destruct drying.

I would like to save this one. Its roughly 5" dia and 3" tall. Pretty close to equilibrium for moisture. Suggestions on where to go from here...
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

It's in the hands of the Almighty, now.
Ian
Use some filler in the colour of your choice, it will make a very unique piece.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Call it practice and toss in the firewood bin.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
chips ahoy said:

Ian

Mel

100% agree!

pretty interesting, cause i've got some chunks from some kinda apple tree, and they look JUST like that.

very cool stuff, but i had all the cracking too, and those knots were hard as h@ll!
Are the cracks expanding, or is it stable now? You could fill them with epoxy, colored with coffee grounds or some other dye, or even oil paint if you want to try and match the color. Otherwise, some lessons learned when turning wet wood with lots of knots.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
arthropod98 said:

[blockquote]chips ahoy said:

Ian

Mel

100% agree!

pretty interesting, cause i've got some chunks from some kinda apple tree, and they look JUST like that.

very cool stuff, but i had all the cracking too, and those knots were hard as [Email]h@ll![/Email]

[/blockquote]

When Arthro agrees it must be right. and we want pics.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
man, with the stuff i've got, i don't think there's any way to keep those knots from cracking like that!
I haven't discerned any additional cracking or movement in the last 4 or 5 days. The only one that goes through is the one at 9 o'clock in the knot in pic 4. This polishes to the point it almost glows after sanding to 400. Better pics if I can get it cleaned up a bit more. I think clear epoxy in the cracks or maybe wet sand an oil varnish mix. Open to suggestions.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

It looks like there was end checking in that one before you started. Add to that that you will always, if not sooner then later, get cracks off of knots, I would not have put that one on the lathe. You can fill and glue all the cracks, which is a lot of work, or sand and finish as is and keep it for 'what nots'. There was also some rot going on in the piece, which since it is dry, will be stable. The rot is the little yellowish bits in the darker brown. Trees that are starting to break down do tend to crack more than healthy trees.

robo hippy