Bowl gouge
I have a new Packard half inch bowl gouge. It does not seem to hold an edge as well as some of my older tools. Is this my imagination, or has anyone else noticed this too. Does anyone know where their tools and steel are made? Does anyone have a recommendation as to whose new tools they are using. Companies are being bought and soid so often or changing suppliers that I am not sure who I can trust to give good value for my dollar. Not afraid to pay for quality, but like everyone else I also do not want to spend uneeded money for a name brand that might not be supplieing the quality they used to.
Thanks
Packards used to sell Hamlet under their name. Own a couple in M2 and PM, and no problems. Is the grind a great deal different that on your old tools? Could take just getting used to.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I do have a Packard 1/2" bowl gouge but that is 4 years ago and it works great.

I am wondering what woods you are turning because they are all different and also knots and bark are hard on tools too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It is hard to do any better than Doug Thompson's tools. He is great to work with and makes excellent tools.

Here is a link to his new website.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for the replies. Turn a real variety of wood. Do mostly segmented stuff so a real variety in each piece depending on the colors I want. Maybe just a learning curve.
Well, the in house tools that Packard sells are generally good quality, but some times some slip through that are not up to standards. Other possible culprits here could be the wood, and glue can dull the tools also. Another possibility could be your sharpening. There are all sorts of tools that 'hold the edge 5 times longer'. This means to me, that I can do more roughing before needing a touch up, but always go back to the grinder for a fresh edge before doing finish cuts. I guess also that there could be a problem with knowing how long you can cut before you need to touch up the edge. If you have a near by friend, you could let them try the gouge to see if they have the same problem. If you did get a bad one, you can send it back.

For best quality tools out there, there is Doug Thompson tools and D Way tools. I can detect no difference in how their tools cut or how long the edges last, but both are far above standard MS HSS.

robo hippy
Sometimes I sharpen every 2 to 5 minutes. Even if I just sharpened just a few minutes ago I always sharpen again for the last cut for a better finish cut.

Exotics are hard on the edge of the tool.

I can not wait to see what you are making buddy.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
http://woodturninglearn.net/articles/ToolSteel.pdf