Cleaning-Up older Unisaw
Hello,
It's time to finally get all the sawdust etc, out of my Unisaw and get the hand wheels running smoothly again. Would most folks here remove the saw top, or work through the various openings to access and clean the gears, etc??
Thanks!
Don't know the vintage or condition of yours, but here's a source for some ideas and guidance http://www.popularwoodworking.com/video/delta-unisaw
when I redid a unisaw I pulled the top. made things way easier and its not that hard to take off/reinstall.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

meackerman said:

when I redid a unisaw I pulled the top. made things way easier and its not that hard to take off/reinstall.

This.
Semper fi,
Brad

only time I pulled the top on a uni to clean it up it was so cruddy and rusted I had no choice.

work through existing openings..

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Remove the 4 bolts and get to know the saw. Easier to clean up, and inspect parts. While it's off, check to be sure the blade stops are free. It will be easier with the top off.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I'm with JGrout. If you are just doing a clean up, you can reach everything through the existing openings (a Unisaw is far from air tight). If you want to check parts for cracks and the like, then take the top off.
If the saw is in good alignment I'd work through the openings. If you can't get it clean enough then pull the top. It's really quite simple.

John
it is easy to pull the top on a unisaw, so there really isn't a reason not to. And its so much easier to see and clean everything inside with the top removed.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It's not as easy as many of you say, at least if you are working alone. The top with two extension wings is far too heavy for me to move alone. Then there's the 50" fence that has to come off first. Hard to remove? No, but it takes some time and then you have to realign everything, not just the main table, when you put it back together.

John