Drum Sander Ordered now help me figure out Dust Collection
Well, with the help of several here my Super Max 19-38 drum sander is ordered will be here in a couple of days. Now I need to address dust collection. I currently am using a large shop vac and am seeking input on what dust collector to add to the sanded. I cannot justify a cyclone collector but I'm not sure I want to go buy the 2hp Harbor freight single stage and then spend that much money again upgrading it as I so commonly have found. Is there a dust collector out there I can not have to modify in the $400-600 range or am I better off getting the cheap h/f model and adding a cyclone or thien separator to it.
We ran a 20 hp wide belt sander using the HF DC no modifications 4" pipe even was enough

It was more than adequate for the single machine

to further the response If you are concerned about upgrading eventually then start now not later A four bag unit is the next logical step.. Grizzly sells one that meets your budget
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Regardless of the particular DC you choose, you will want very tight filtration. The DS is going to generate a lot of the fine dust, so get something that has 1 micron or better filters. Congrats on the sander, no doubt you will be pleased with it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
G0548ZP I have this one(not the Polar Bear, just green Griz) and have several machines hooked up to it. The closest is my Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander, which is hooked directly into the collector. The other machines are connected first to a chip drum and then to the DC.

I clean the cannister about three times a year---take it off, outside, blow out with compressed air. Empty the bag(still using the original bag) about 4 times a year.

Have a basement shop and no problems with dust from the machine.

The machine that JGrout linked is the best bang for the buck in dust collection right now but those are clearance models along with the same machine with filters at $700.

I'm tempted to get one as it has vastly more airflow than a cyclone that costs more than twice the price.
Yeah, its all about how far away. A simple DC will do it if its close enough.

You need bigger horsepower and pipe when your DC is 40 feet away and connected to a bunch of other machines, with elbows and gates that you forgot to close.
I run my Delta drum sander with a Rockler portable cyclone unit and a shop vac. Works fine.

My drum sander produces such fine dust that the capacity of the portable cyclone is more than enough to handle many hours of sanding. I have a CleanStream filter in my 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac, so when the filter gets dusty, a good spray with the garden hose is all it takes to clean it. I can do hours of sanding before enough dust gets through to the shop vac such that filter cleaning is required.

Not a gold plated solution, but just throwing out something that works for me.

Grouse
The Famous Grouse said:

I run my Delta drum sander with a Rockler portable cyclone unit and a shop vac. Works fine.

My drum sander produces such fine dust that the capacity of the portable cyclone is more than enough to handle many hours of sanding. I have a CleanStream filter in my 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac, so when the filter gets dusty, a good spray with the garden hose is all it takes to clean it. I can do hours of sanding before enough dust gets through to the shop vac such that filter cleaning is required.

Not a gold plated solution, but just throwing out something that works for me.

Grouse

What size sander?
delta is an 18" sander
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

delta is an 18" sander

Correct, my Delta is an 18 inch. Don't want to discourage you from going full-on dust collection if you budget, shop setup, and time allow.

Because I have a basement shop, my surface sander and my planer are out in the garage where there is more infeed/outfeed space. Therefore, I needed a portable dust collecting solution as well. The drum sander, compared to the planer, is easy on the dust collection because there aren't chips to deal with as well.

And relatively speaking, this isn't a high volume use tool for me, so I wasn't willing to drop big bucks on a dedicated dust collection solution. I have to sand a long time to produce a gallon bucket full of sanding dust. It's not like a planer where the chips are vastly increasing the volume of material that needs to be collected. I can run the surface sander for hours without having to empty the cyclone.

Grouse