is any plywood FLAT these days?!
Paul K. Murphy said:

Apple ply is great!
Very hard to get. Are you still able to? My local vendor didn't have any last time I checked.

Less and less places every year Wouldn't be surprised if this list in reality is half of what it was posted at by now. $175.00 to $230.00 per sheet tends to do that to a product. Baer supply in Middletown is only about 7 miles from me, but we are many miles apart on price
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
When I need plywood I'm lucky enough to be an hour from Tree Products, a hardwood/sheetgoods supplier that gets a lot of their domestic plywood from States Industries just down the road.

States makes Appleply plus 5 and 7 ply domestic maple plywood. I buy shop grade to build cabinet boxes and it is better than the on grade stuff almost anyone else sells plus it's an inch longer and wider than a standard panel.
Robert Adams said:

Little of it is flat. Even the good stuff from the plywood suppliers isn't flat or it is when you get it then as soon as it gets home it warps. Baltic birch though is pretty flat most of the time. The only stuff that starts flat and generally stays that way is mdf.

That is why I use mdf with the hard plastic on both sides (Do not remember what it is called) as sleds or templates.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

Little of it is flat. Even the good stuff from the plywood suppliers isn't flat or it is when you get it then as soon as it gets home it warps. Baltic birch though is pretty flat most of the time. The only stuff that starts flat and generally stays that way is mdf.

That is why I use mdf with the hard plastic on both sides (Do not remember what it is called) as sleds or templates.

Arlin

[/blockquote]

Arlin, try to remember what that stuff is called, because I'm interested and have never heard of such a product. The only thing similar that I know of to what you describe is Melamine, but that has a particle board core. Thanks.

John
They make a phenolic-faced version of MDO / HDO, http://theplywood.com/mdo-hdo though with the internal structure that has more to do with weather resistance. Standard is a kraft-paper like surface. Been doing for my router table and such for years. Shellac and wax for slick.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
jteneyck said:

Arlin, try to remember what that stuff is called, because I'm interested and have never heard of such a product. The only thing similar that I know of to what you describe is Melamine, but that has a particle board core. Thanks.

John

The DIY answer is plastic laminate veneered to MDF.

I did not go looking but I expect someone makes it commercially

someone else was looking for a ply core for structure and screw holding ability and the flat surface of MDF

They make that as well it has a ply core two faces of MDF to veneer to and the veneer itself over that...

I have only seen it in 3/4" however.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

White Cap Supply has phenolic plywood. It is used for concrete forms. I personally have not bought or used it. However, there have been numerous articles written about using it for jigs and fixtures. Most all list White Cap as a supplier. Just an FYI.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I've been in the plywood manufacturing business for over 35 + years now and their is no plywood that stays absolutely flat.With the moisture in the air and the dryness,it's always on the move so to say.The only ones that stay relatively flat are MDF,Lumber Core, Baltic Birch,and Combi Core.
Johner
Thank you from the perspective of hands on, and years in experience.

Welcome to the forum.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I stopped buying sheet goods for furniture from the big box stores a long time ago.  I spent 2-3x for quality sheet goods at specialty lumber outlets.  It's worth the cost.  MDF is the only exception, but I don't use MDF for furniture anyway.  I do use 1/2" MDF occasionally for veneered panels on boxes.  It's a nice, stable substrate.  The last ply I got from a big box store ended up as flooring for a shed I built.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill