Opportunity for a used Hammer A3-31
I have an opportunity to pick up an 8 year old Hammer A3-31, with extension table and height gauge. It is under power and when I get there I will be able to see it run. It has been used in a hobbyist garage shop, and not at all for the past several years. Is there anything that would cause me to get there and say no? Asking price is around $1500.

It's a slam dunk right?

Going tomorrow with cash and a trailer. I will report back and will share pictures of the process.
Go tonight !

The only thing that would make me back away from the deal would be if something major is broken, a table is warped, or the motor is toast or squealing. Doesn't sound like any of those is the case so - get it quick. Check the planer table lift crank to make sure it operates smoothly, and that the jointer tables lift up smoothly, and go back to zero and lock securely.

My MiniMax FS35 came with a knife setting gage. I don't know if the Hammer has one but, if it does, make sure to get it, and any other accessories that might go with it. I got a dust hood and mobile base thrown in as part of the deal. That mobile base has turned out to be a God send. 750 lbs doesn't move easily w/o one.

John
I agree with John go get it ASAP! That's a great price, assuming the machine is in good shape. I had and loved an Inca 570 for 20+ years. Had the opportunity to buy a little-used A3 31 several years ago. Wow! It's several steps up from my little Inca. I have been very happy with mine. For a combo machine, they are hard to beat. Mine has straight knives; and, while I'd love to have a spiral cutterhead, I'm happy with it as is. I'm currently building a chest of drawers out of curly maple. I put in a set of new knives for the project and the A3 31 is handling the curly stuff just fine with virtually no tearout.

P.S. If you think you'll ever have to move the machine, John is right, get the mobility kit for the Hamner. It's a heavy beast and doesn't move easily. Mine didn't have it, but I ordered the kit from Hammer, along with a table extension and some fresh knives. I couldn't live without the mobility kit.
For that price I hope you're sitting outside the old boys house this morning waiting to see the light turn on before you ring the doorbell!

Good luck
-Marc

Is it the old model or the new model? Do you want a spiral gead? I believe you can get a Byrd for the old model, not sure if you can for the new model. Hammer says you can't upgrade the new model to spiral. I had a chance for a used unit but price wasn't good so went for new with spiral - very happy - quiet.
Hammer's new model is designed around their own, propriety spiral cutterhead. When I bought my machine, I called their tech folks to talk to them about upgrading to a Byrd head. They told me about their new machine and tried very hard to sell me one.
I purchased the machine. Wow its heavy. I will be back with pics after I get it off the trailer.
Yea! Good for you. You're going to love it!
I hope you enjoy your A3 31 as much as I enjoy mine.
Good on you. Can't wait to see pics.

Hope you don't have a basement shop like I do. I had to take my MM completely apart to get it down there, and the frame still weighed close to 300 lbs. Those higher end Euro machines are built like a battleship.

John