Book needed, new to using hand planes
I could use a recommendation for a book hand planes for a beginner. All my experience has been with power tools and I am SADLY lacking in hand tool use.
I have "The New Best of Fine Woodworking Working with Handplanes," © 2005, Taunton Press, and I think it is a fine introductory book, which is exactly where I am in skill level, too. It's a collection of articles they've published on the subject, rather than a purpose-built book, but I actually think that's a good thing on this subject.

Definitely recommend.

I also have a book called something like "making and working with hand planes." It's out in the garage and I don't recommend it nearly as highly as the other one, so no details. But it wasn't bad, and if you're interested in making the kind of wooden handplanes where you cut a lblock apart and then glue it back together--are those the krenov type?--it'd be good for that, anyway. I may do that eventually.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
The absolute best book or movie is really going to be the one in your head when you have a block plane in hand, and just keep using it, over and over. Nothing teaches better than doing.

Sometimes a movie is better than a book for showing as they tell you how that they are free movies doesn't hurt either. Everything from boiling an egg, to being a midwife fully illustrated on you tube

Enjoy the journey, it can be what they call a slippery slope
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Might as well get one on sharpening too.

Or you can start a thread on it. It should only garner a couple of posts but they will be very clear and concise on which method you should use and why.

Really though, seek some kind of guidance to get started sharpening. A handplane book will cover it pretty well but a specific sharpening book will open it up a little further.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Garrett Hack's " The Handplane Book" is excellent.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Start cheap.

http://www.amgron.clara.net/

http://homepages.sover.net/~nichael/nlc-.../caop.html

You tube has more thousands of words in videos that you will ever need. As always, don't suspend skepticism because of the poster's aura of authority.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks everyone, I will check these out!
Books are great, but nothing beats seeing someone who knows how to use a plane demonstrate it for you and then critique your use; same with sharpening. Youtube goes only so far. Try and find a local woodnetter close to you; or attend a ww show where either LN or LV is showing up as they have demonstrators.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Learn how to sharpen, if you don't already know. All the plane technique in the world won't make up for a dull iron, and your whole learning experience will be an exercise in frustration. Wilbur Pan has a sign on his workshop wall that sets out the steps for getting a plane to work properly:

"If your plane is not performing satisfactorily, take the following steps:
STEP1- Sharpen the iron.
STEP2 - Make a test cut. If the plane continues to perform unsatisfactorily, REPEAT STEP 1"
(paraphrase)
Hank Knight in SC said:

Learn how to sharpen, if you don't already know. All the plane technique in the world won't make up for a dull iron, and your whole learning experience will be an exercise in frustration. Wilbur Pan has a sign on his workshop wall that sets out the steps for getting a plane to work properly:

"If your plane is not performing satisfactorily, take the following steps:
STEP1- Sharpen the iron.
STEP2 - Make a test cut. If the plane continues to perform unsatisfactorily, REPEAT STEP 1"
(paraphrase)

Shhhhh, you'll scare him off if you start with all the "other" stuff, wait till he's sliding down the slope, and say, oh BTW
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW