Book needed, new to using hand planes
Hand Tools Their Ways Workings by Aldren Watson, or The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing are probably the two best books I know to start learning hand tool woodworking, including use of handplanes. A sleeper is Making and Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck. This last book shows you how to build a simple and effective type of hand plane, starting at the absolute beginning with all the tools you need to make them. It is a focussed and detailed introduction to making and using these planes, that does not touch on other types of planes that some prefer.
1Spirit said:

I could use a recommendation for a book hand planes for a beginner. All my experience has been with power tools and I am SADLY lacking in hand tool use.

There are others, but these will teach you the essentials for using hand planes to mill, joint and finish wood.
http://www.amazon.com/Handplane-Essentia...1440332983

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/vide...iques?node=4226

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/hand...-streaming
+ 1 and Paul Sellers new book.

Steve
blackhat said:

Garrett Hack's " The Handplane Book" is excellent.

+1
I love "Working wood 1 and 2" by paul sellers. I'm a huge fan of his, and subscribe to Masterclasses as well... but it has taught me so much.
Many years ago, based on the information that I gleaned from a place affectionately known as "The .rec," I bought a very expensive Lie-Nielsen #4 smoothing plane. Folks said it "worked right out of the box." It doesn't....

I put it to wood and it skittered, sputtered, gouged a nice piece of maple. I twisted knobs, nudged levers - same result. Terrible.

Now mind you, in hind-sight, it could have probably used a little honing. But I didn't own any sharpening gear - not even the beginnings of "Scary Sharp."(That's how lost I was!!!)

I cussed my bad luck. Cussed hand tools. And cussed "The .rec." I put the very nice, very new LN in its box and didn't touch it for years.

For whatever reason (I don't remember), I rented the David Charlesworth handplane videos 1 & 2. They absolutely changed my world.... They opened up an aspect of woodworking that I thought was forever closed to me.

Now I love Paul Sellers; I've been a paying member of his site since it opened during my deployment to Afghanistan in 2012. But when it comes to learning handplanes for the absolute neophyte, I have to say David Charlesworth.

He's slow. He's methodical. He's painfully detailed. But that type of instruction is what you need (IMHO).

Good luck
Paul sellers new book also supposingly goes into great detail as well, waiting on my new book and DVD's to come that my Kids bought for me while I was in the Hospital.

Steve
Eochaid4 said:

[blockquote]blackhat said:

Garrett Hack's " The Handplane Book" is excellent.

+1

[/blockquote]

+2. I learned most of what I needed to know about about planes from 1) Practice and 2) The Handplane Book.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
What I liked about PS first book were the projects, and the sharpening section. I actually built every project from the book, start to finish. It was a fun journey.
The sharpening section is a great reference when i'm out in the shop, and dont have access to youtube.

While i'm at it, his little jig to sharpen spokeshave blades is a lifesaver for me, I was struggling with that.
Where do you live? I'd be willing to bet someone here would be willing to give you some one on one instruction for a few beers. I know I have been know to get payment in beer more than a few times