I'm getting tired of unorganized building tools
I organized my tools into plastic bins. Was pretty proud of myself until I tried to find something, and failed. Much cursing and throwing things ensued. At this point I'm thinking about buying a toolchest, and just putting things into portable totes when I have a job to do. Anyone take this approach?
The most important thing for me is to have cabinets, shelves, tool chests, whatever where I put my tools, and to always put them back in the same place. I don't have a labeling system, my memory is still good enough - as long as I don't move them. Covered tote bins make no sense to me except for tools I would only use on a jobsite, and I don't own many of those. I want to be able to get at my tools without having to unstack and open tote bins. Might be OK for seldom needed supplies, though, as long as the visible side of the tub was labeled.

John
I keep boxes for certain applications and then I have tools and materials that go with them in the same general place that I don't commonly carry with me. I have pipe threading tools with a collection of pipe wrenches, snap cutter, and fittings just to the side. Copper and torches aren't far from them. Same goes for other type groupings of tools and materials
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have a general job bucket with hammer/flat bars/screwdrivers/drill bits/string lines/pliers/speed square/utility knives/etc.

I have carry tool boxes for electrical tools and one for plumbing tools.

Canvas carry bags for circ. saw, hand planer, grinder/belt sander.

Blow mold containers for air nailers/staplers, jig saw, and so on.

Have a shelf on which to store all the above. Just pick up what I need, no need to repack/forget stuff.
I do both. I have a bin with all my plumbing tools and one with plumbing fittings Etc. Then I do have other tools in tool boxes and that works to a point unfortunately when I need mechanics tools in the shop it's a hike to the house and back as those are in the garage. I grab what I need I to a bucket or other box and make the round trip. However the return trip of the tools sometimes not happening...
It's an endless back and forth from the garage to the shop as I need stuff in the shop then I need it in the house etc. I spend more time going back and forth than I do working. That's why I need another miter saw that can be on a mobile stand and stay at the house...

Oh and I was doing the yelling and screaming too. Was working on a slow sink drain and was going to flush it with the rubber expanding thing that goes on a garden hose. I had just put all my plumbing tools into their own boxes... Went looking and it's not there. I finally found it yesterday. It was in a bucket of assorted tools under a bench that was on its return trip from the house and never was put away...
I have a toolbox for electrical, plumbing and a travel chest for woodworking hand tools, all have duplicates to a certain extent, but I'm a tool monger so I've accumulated user quality sets for each discipline. Then I have my shop-based tools, my prime users. Works for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use the bin approach. Copper sweating supplies, one box, drywall tools, 2 boxes, PEX supplies, 1 box, boat waxing supplies, one box, boat vinyl cleaning supplies, one box,, etc, etc, etc until it seems like I have too many boxes. I also have boxes for special screws like lag bolts and RSS screws in one tote. If I need a weird screw that is over 3" long, I know it is in that one box. It has saved me a ton of headaches.

I also have a box for all my finish nailers and it is one box. I can take that box to a task and I know that no matter what size nailer or stapler I need, it is in that box. Same with the nails for those nailers. I have them all in one smaller tote. So one box for nailers, one for nails and I have 100% covered.

The boxes I use are not cheap but the are dividable and strong as can be. I can stack them floor to ceiling with no danger of them falling apart. They also shed water so if water gets on the lids, it just runs right off.

Must be nice having a basement... Hopefully when we move we will find a house with one but I doubt it. Nice having double the house square footage at no additional cost.
Seems like every time I thought I need a 1/2 wrench turned out to be 9/16. Screwdriver....wrong ". So I've taken all that out of chest and put in containers. Now I just grab the container. Same for most of my other tools. Seems simpler plus more tools in one place at same time
I have tool boxes,chests,roller cabinets, wall and floor cabinets,sliding and stationary shelves.I have it all, 52 years of experience and still can't find a darn thing when needed.

mike