Refinishing a cast iron bathtub that is showing rust
We have an old(1930) bathtub that is showing rust around the drain hole and control mechanism. Wifey wants to refinish it but I remember doing research a while back and from what I remember, even if i get a refinisher that knows what he is doing, once rust gets through the original porcelain, refinishing is ineffective. I suppose where this might go is to somehow dig out the old rust, fill, flatten or some such combo but at this point, would refinishing be futile???
Nicole Curtis, the host of Rehab Addict routinely touches up sinks and tubs with re-finishing kits. But in a recent episode she had a pro come in and do the work. She said that with the kits she got 2 to 4 years use out of a refinished tub. The professional work lasts 10 years or longer and looks better.

If it is a cast iron tub then I would search around for a tub refinishing expert. They will provide you with a guarantee.

There used to be companies that would strip off the old porcelain and apply a new porcelain finish. However the refinishing options are lasting much longer lately and this seems to have driven the companies that did actual porcelain work out of business.

Check for reviews on the vendor and speak to a couple of customers. Ask for one recent customer, one 2 to 3 years back and one 5 + years back.

At the minimum I would want a good review from the 5+ year old customer.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Have it removed & professionally refinished. You will be glad you did, especially if it's a rare old model of tub.
Herb G said:

Have it removed & professionally refinished. You will be glad you did, especially if it's a rare old model of tub.

Most of these services will site finish. If it is cast iron that makes a lot of sense.

If it is not cast iron it probably does not make sense to refinish it.

They do use a strong acid to etch the surface of the tub so make sure that they bring along some ventilation equipment.
Site finish is garbage, plain & simple. Pros use powder coat & an oven to bake it like original.
Herb G said:

Site finish is garbage, plain & simple. Pros use powder coat & an oven to bake it like original.

I will grant that vitreous enamel re-coating can only be done off site and requires heating to over 1,000 degrees F. Powdercoating only requires about 350 degrees F. And it is not necessarily better than site finishes.

There are still a few vitreous enamel shops and they can restore a tub to its original condition.

Here is one: http://retrorenovation.com/2011/09/06/re...k-tub-or-stove/

This vendor has a 2 to 3 year waiting list however.
I didn't mean powder coat paint, I meant the kind where they sift the porcelain over the base coat, then bake it in a kiln.
The last This Old House run had a tub they refinished and they used an acrylic urethane.

I was curious so did some research and it appears the newer finishes they're using for tubs have come a long, long way.

Not as good as getting the tub red-hot and sifting enamel over it, but also a lot less expensive and disruptive, too.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
To all those that responded, thanks...I am the best reference as I had this process done about 5 years ago on a different tub and it held up well. The question is....what about the rust. In the end, anyone can paint anything and I understand getting this stuff to stick to porcelain but as mentioned, the rust is coming through the porcelain and the question is "technically, how would a professional deal with this"...if they can.
bsheffer said:

To all those that responded, thanks...I am the best reference as I had this process done about 5 years ago on a different tub and it held up well. The question is....what about the rust. In the end, anyone can paint anything and I understand getting this stuff to stick to porcelain but as mentioned, the rust is coming through the porcelain and the question is "technically, how would a professional deal with this"...if they can.

They acid etch the porcelain and the acid would remove all the rust too. They should apply the finish the same day they do the etch to avoid any corrosion.