8 Tooth Tablesaw Blade
One of our Guild members is giving away some of his tools in preparation for a move. An 8" tablesaw blade was among the items.

It has 8 flat ground teeth with 3/4" deep gullets. It is a Sears product with a catalog # 9-32478 and labeled 8" General Purpose Carbide Tipped

What would this have been used for? It doesn't fit my understanding of a General Purpose blade.

Thanks.

Bill
Probably a slotter, kerf = ?
Pat Warner
Kerf = 1/8"

Bill
That is the full catalog description from 1972.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
My dad had that same blade on his 50's Craftsman TS. It's the only blade that saw has ever had. My 1952 catalog lists it as p/n 9A4943, and touts its safety aspects, and that it can't grab stock and kick it back to the operator. It sold for $12.95, which would be something like $117 in today's dollars.

That was probably the catalog he bought his TS from, by the way.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
TDKPE said:

My dad had that same blade on his 50's Craftsman TS. It's the only blade that saw has ever had. My 1952 catalog lists it as p/n 9A4943, and touts its safety aspects, and that it can't grab stock and kick it back to the operator. It sold for $12.95, which would be something like $117 in today's dollars.

That was probably the catalog he bought his TS from, by the way.

What's amazing is that when you consider the inflation like that the blades we get now at basically the same price are light years better. It's an incredible value over what they were in the past.

Some things like that have gotten way better and way way cheaper other things not so much.
It would rip fine, crosscuts would be a little rough. Wonder if they offered more teeth and some offset in a set. Back then a "combo" blade might have seemed odd, they would have used blades more specific to the job.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have talked about an 8 tooth blade before on here. We used them where I used to work for rough ripping thicker stock, at least 1 1/2" thick. It leaves a very rough edge but was very good at ripping stock to rough size. This was done to break down a wide board into smaller width pieces (over size) and then machine them to final size. Hope this helps.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I really miss the Sears catalog.
It was like a early IPad
You could waste hours looking.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
I had one, used it so cut aluminum plate