Cleaning filter fabric
Other than taking the bag outside, turning it inside-out and shaking (which I've never done), is there a good way to clean filter fabric? I've noticed when I tap the bag on my Delta 50-760 to clean it before use, I can see a very small plume of dust in the air. There is also very slight discoloration on the outside of the bag, so I'm assuming this is dust fines migrating out of the bag. Should this happen? Is it time for a new bag, or is there a remedy? Thanks.
Short answer: Call Delta and report out on washing and drying instructions. I have that model and have noticed the same symptons. My instruction pamplet doesn't mention cleaning the bag.

All I can recommend is to wear a P-100 dust mask -- designed to filler FINE dust. You will be enveloped in a cloud of FINE dust if you turn it inside out and then whack it to dislodge the dust. And --- if the bag is washable, it makes sense to "wack it" first before washing it.

Dave
Take it outside, turn it inside out & blow it out with a air compressor.
That should get all the dust out of it.
Some bags use the dust cake as part of the filtration system. AFF told me not to clean mine but that didn't stop me. I would take it outside and beat the snot out out of first to loosen things up, then turn it inside out and use my shop vac to vac off the interior surfaces. This wasn't all that smart since at the time I had a Craftsman shop vac that had a filter rated in inches instead of microns, so it pumped the dust into the air (I'm a quick learner and took the operation outside ). Actually, there's little reason to clean it unless you see a significant reduction in air flow. A quality bag is supposed to shed the dust cake after a certain point maintaining air flow and filtration (at least that's what AFF told me).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
No real need to do a heavy cleaning on it. And yes some dust will make its way to the outside as like mentioned the dust caring in the bag helps with filtration. Over time your bags will be very dust colored.

As for calling delta that won't get you anywhere as they don't exist. They are on their seccond or third Chinese owners now and the first ones dropped everything but the unisaw and the hole driller for euro cabs. The current owners are trying to make a go at it again but I'm not going to hold my breath.
I don't know whether I'm losing air flow or not (I suspect not significant), but didn't know if I should be seeing dust and discoloration. I know the dust cake is part of the equation, but was just wondering if there is a standard maintenance procedure most people run through. I think I'll turn it inside-out and give it a light work out. Thanks.
I have 1 micron bags on mine, and some dust (the sub micron ones) still migrates through it. The outside is sort of tan now, too. I give the bags a whack from the outside a couple of times a day before turning on the DC. I can hear some of the cake fall off and fall to the bottom. I equate this to the same thing that you do with a cartridge filter or an automated bag house. Further cleaning, IMO, is unnecessary and reduces their capture efficiency unless you have blinded the bag material with something, in which case you probably should replace them.

I don't get overly hung up on dust collection. I have dust collection and use it but I accept that you will never capture all the fine particles that are produced by machines working wood. As a hobbiest I'm not breathing wood dust 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and my chance of dying from something else first is far greater. If I had lung issues or allergies I'm sure I would look at it differently.

John
What I know about bag dust filters (which isn't a lot) is that they should not be taut when running. If they are, they're reducing air flow which stands to reason if you think about it. They need to either be cleaned or upsized. And I seem to recall that washing was not recommended.
I have a similar outlook on dust collection; I'll do my best, but I've seen what gets into the air at the source of the cut and realize it would probably take more effort than I'm willing to give to solve the problem. As a hobbyist, my main interest is to keep tweeking what I have without cutting into available work-time too much.

I have a fan that fits in the window that helps evacuate dust that my DC doesn't get... which is seasonal of course.