For those that work HVAC...
Just starting to get into the trade, about to finish first of two years of school. Hoping to get in on the commercial side. Putting together tools of the trade right now and looking for a reliable, rugged clamp on meter. Fluke 902 looks like a good choice. Is there something better for same ball park price of 300.00.
Excellent choice. That's my go to and I even bought a spare. Save some shekels up to buy the interchangeable tip leads. The alligator clips are better and available in larger sizes for hooking to big lugs.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Go for the fluke. You will have it for many years and they are usually accurate for pretty much their lifespan. Here the field piece meters are popular but I never have been a fan of them. Nothing bad but something about them bugs me as cheap.

Also make sure to get a cheapie meter as well. Always need a backup and one for bad weather that can be tossed if it gets wet. I always have one of the small harborfreight ones and they are very good for what you pay.
Course I still prefer my wavetek which fluke bought years ago.
Thank you for the replies. That was going to be another question...should I have a second multimeter basically as a backup. The Fluke it is, thanks again.
bottd said:

Thank you for the replies. That was going to be another question...should I have a second multimeter basically as a backup. The Fluke it is, thanks again.

Your backup should do everything your main meter does, or you basically don't have a backup meter.
I use the clamp meter for almost everything so my backup is the smaller and less expensive Fieldpiece SC240. I'm actually using it right now- and I must say it is a surprisingly great little meter. (I recently dropped the 76 from a rooftop).

I have used both Fluke and Fieldpiece and have settled on Fieldpiece simply because it was faster. I've had no problems with the instrument at all. But since the new Fieldpiece clamp ons require you remove the leads to use the temp function, I'll most likely go back to fluke 325.

The clamp on must test- temp, voltage, MFD (a must), ohm, amps, and when it's time for lunch.
I have several meters and I set them all on the table each spring and calibrate the temperature readings. The probes I use for Superheat and Subcooling must be accurate as well.

But depending on what meter you use, be sure and test it each time you use it on a live circuit or verify voltage, if even momentarily pushing in on the contactor.

I also use the FP LT17AW wireless meter at times. It is good for verifying indoor heat strips during a forced defrost cycle testing, a motor running or that the outdoor condenser is running and so on and has all the functions needed for testing.
Don't forget the growing need for a DC amp clamp meter. As mini splits get more common you will need it and most amp clamps only do ac as they don't have a hall effect sensor. Those minisplits run at around 380vdc. Inverter compressors are the future for larger units as well.
Robert Adams said:

Don't forget the growing need for a DC amp clamp meter. As mini splits get more common you will need it and most amp clamps only do ac as they don't have a hall effect sensor. Those minisplits run at around 380vdc. Inverter compressors are the future for larger units as well.

Totally agree. If I'm going that far, no way am I going to get a package that can't do inline DC amperage and come with a pair of big ole alligator clips.
Given the trend for everything to be wired with harness assemblies, a clamp style ammeter is more useful than an inline for this kind of work. Fluke has a couple clamps that plug in a DVM and can read both AC and DC current.
Blackhat

Got a Fluke 12 for sale if you need it. Too complicated for my limited knowledge. I will stand behind it. Make me an offer if interested.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Thats a good little meter. I have a 10 in my toolbox drawer in the garage. It is short a microamp function to be what an HVAC tech needs but its a good meter for a homeowner/DIYer. I am pretty well off for meters right now but I bet you could move it in the S&S.
Blackhat