Hovarter leg vise
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with the Hovarter vises on their workbench. Thinking about installing a leg vise with the x-link system on my workbench, but wanted to see if anyone had direct experience with them first.

web page
Jim Ritter (Boatman53) will be one of the vendors at the Saratoga Woodworking Show this weekend. It would be a good opportunity to talk to him and see the vise in action. Also, Dave Parkis will be there as a demonstrator. Should be worth the day trip. Link
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Yup, got one in my shop and set it up with tall jaws it's a great vise. When I decided to do the show I put one on my show bench with the tall jaws. Mine of course is using the chain to keep the jaws parallel and it is slick. To me the chain is easier to install and keep adjusted.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I got one of the Lake-Erie wooden screws for my leg vise. It is like 1 or 2 threads per inch. Fewer turns to close or open.

If I drop a piece on the wooden threads less likely to dent the piece. Good luck with the metal threads.

Got the X-Cross from Benchcrafted too.
WoodTinker
The Hovarter vise has no threads at all just a rod. So far I've never dropped anything on the screw of any vise in thirty years so personally not a concern of mine.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
John I have both of those and am really glad I went that route. I had a couple of questions during installation and Len answered them quickly. Installed the vise last year on my roubo and so far it works flawlessly.

Very pleased
Joe in Florida
Thanks for the input, everyone!