Striking Knife
I have been working with a few different styles of striking knives, and was looking to see what other's use and prefer. I am starting to lean towards the traditional striking knife design due to the awl at one end, and the blade at the other. I have made a few from spade bits, but I would love to get my hands on one similar to the striking knife Chris Schwarz wrote about in his blog back in 2009.
Can you be more specific on the type or link to the blog where he mentions it? He has had several published articles and blogs since 2009, where he seems to prefer a spear tip blade. He's also recommended the Veritas Workshop Striking knife, which is fairly inexpensive at $11.50.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think he's talking about a traditional striking knife like this -

Schwarz article

I don't think CS is wedded to this style of knife. He goes on about other styles here.
Smoothjazz077 said:

I have been working with a few different styles of striking knives, and was looking to see what other's use and prefer. I am starting to lean towards the traditional striking knife design due to the awl at one end, and the blade at the other. I have made a few from spade bits, but I would love to get my hands on one similar to the striking knife Chris Schwarz wrote about in his blog back in 2009.

Get hold of Gregory of Sherwood Forest here or at rusthunter.com. Greg may have a few laying about...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Was he the one making the knives with the twisted shank, Rob? I was trying to think who that was.
not mine but I think this is what you are looking for
striking knife
I've used several. The one side sharp and no bevel on the other with a double edge stile is the best of the conventional I have tried. But my favorite is a scalpel with a No 22 blade.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Phil S. said:

Was he the one making the knives with the twisted shank, Rob? I was trying to think who that was.

I'm not Rob, but yes. I have one from Gregory and it's terrific. And reasonably priced. Just watch when you open it. The wide end is much sharper than you might imagine.

Steve
Just sent a PM to Greg.

Thanks
Phil S. said:

Yep
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin