Filling Nail Holes in QSWO
I've just installed custom bookcases in my wife's new home library. Installed all the trim and shot them in place with a trim nailer, 16 ga. In the past I've filled the holes with plumber's putty and then followed that with three coats of semi-gloss Minwax polyurethane.

When I noticed that applying the putty over raw wood with my finger, there would sometimes be a "blotch" that covered the hole area, the putty having gotten into the grain in that area. So, I decided to apply the putty after the first coat of either varnish or sanding sealer. I could then wipe each hole area with a rag and mineral spirits and remove any remaining residue.

Question: Is there a better method out there or is this as good as it's going to be? The only problem with applying the putty after the first coat is that the hole sometimes gets partially filled with the finish and is not completely filled with putty, again sometimes leaving a darker area showing.

Thanks,

Doug
Too late for these holes, but for the next ones - put a piece of blue painters tape on the wood and shoot the nail through it. Fill the hole with whatever you are using, let it dry, then remove the tape.

John
Great tip John, that is pure genius! I am depositing that to my memory bank today for future withdrawal. Thank you!
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Thanks but I can't take credit for it. I read it in a trim carpentry book I bought a couple of years ago. But you're right, it's pure genius.

It also works great when you want to install a plug over a screw. You put down the tape, mark and drill trough the tape with a Forstner or brad point drill, install the screw, and glue in the plug. Any glue that squeezes out ends up on the tape and won't get into the grain of the wood around the plug. I will take credit for that one !

John
Woodenfish said:

Great tip John, that is pure genius! I am depositing that to my memory bank today for future withdrawal. Thank you!

Yea, no kidding.