Battery powered leaf blower?
Anyone use a battery powered leaf blower and can recommend one? Just really disappointed with my 3yo 2-cycle blower which pretty much needs a new spark plug every time I want to start it. I'm not savvy enough with the gas engines to figure it out on my own and the cost of taking it the shop probably isn't worth it.
Paul, before you replace, try using the pre-canned fuel from the BORG. I had a weed whacker that would lengthen my one arm just pulling the thing to get it started. When I expanded my inventory of 2-cycle lawn tools, it was highly recommended I use non-ethanol fuel ... which would mean buying from a marina (none local) or use the pre-mixed canned fuel. I figured since I was buying for the new leaf blower and chainsaw, I might as well give it a try in the old weed whacker. It started right up on the first pull, no longer sputtered, and I didn't need to keep revving the engine to keep it running. Just my $0.02, but it solved my problems.
the only recommendation i have is really a NON-recommendation -- 40V Black & Decker.

i'm a BIG fan of their other 40V stuff (got a bunch of it), but the blower is just incredibly weak.
I used the echo weedeater for a little bit and it worked well. I suspect their cordless blower works as well. I also want their battery chainsaw. If you have a direct tools near they have them on sale for $160 eaxh.

The problem these days is the fuel. Alcohol in gas is very bad for small engines. The Tru fuel is good stuff but when yours starts to have problems it's cheaper to throw yours in the trash and buy a new one as you will spend more in fuel a season than a new machine.

If you are one of the lucky you scan get gas without alcohol in it. There are lots of places that sell real gas still. Some have just one pump for small equipment. When I have seen it in other places it's often cheaper.
I have 20v B&D leaf blower, weed whacker, and drill. Really works well for me because there is always a fresh battery to swap. But this strategy may not work for everyone. Blower operates about 5 min on a charge. It is enough to do my small patio about twice. Weedwhacker has enough charge to knock down as much in the yard as I care to whack at a session. The drill has never lost power on my hobby projects. I rotate the battery to keep it fresh. Having three batteries is great and I have never had to wait on a charge.

My requirements are very low and with my very limited use, these products work well. YMMV
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I've got the 20v max DeWalt, been very happy with it for what I use if for.
Cleaning out the garage, blowing off the porch & patio etc., I've not really tried it out in the yard for leaf removal and such.
The only thing it doesn't work well on (for me) is snow, just not enough force.

Ed
EdL said:

I've got the 20v max DeWalt, been very happy with it for what I use if for.
Cleaning out the garage, blowing off the porch & patio etc., I've not really tried it out in the yard for leaf removal and such.
The only thing it doesn't work well on (for me) is snow, just not enough force.

Ed

I've got the same. I went with 20v due to having a bunch of tools with that battery already. The blower works great. My mother loves it as it is light enough for her to use and does not have a gas mower. So, I'll have to buy another for myself. I also got the trimmer in 20v. I was nervous that it would be under powered but so far its working fine. The cutting diameter is less than a gas powered trimmer but I have only a couple trees and just around the edging so its been no bother.

I don't miss one bit mixing oil and gas for the old tools and I've since given them away.
WoodNET... the new safespace
LIL
My BIL has a Ryobi 40V and loves it. He has a small yard and it is enough. I have a Stihl electric start backpack for my yard (big yard) and a Ryobi 18V battery for small stuff. I will say that the Ryobi packs enough punch for the deck and the narrow part of the 300 foot driveway but it would NEVER do the yard.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
We have the B&D blower. Wife loves it. She can't start the Echo pull start and I don't trust her around the pool with a corded one.

She is able to clear the decks and walks - leaves & needles. Charge lasts about 10 minutes, when it is done, she is done!
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
Lil

I have 40v Greenworks mower, weed eater and leaf blower. All 3 use the same batteries so it's nice to be able to swap out. I can get enough out of the leaf blower to blow off the driveway, sidewalk, walkway and back deck on a battery...maybe 15 minutes. It is fine for what I use it for which is blowing off grass clipping and dust/pollen etc. there is no way it would handle actually leaves in the fall. It's just not powerful enough. But it sure is nice not having to crank up my old gas jobby and its way more convenient than an extension cord!

As an aside I have actually been quite surprised and how well the batteries do with these tools. The leaf blower is actually the quickest to fade. I can cut my whole yard most times on the one battery in the mower...now I live on a postage stamp but that's still a good 45 minutes of run time. And it's super quiet so I don't have to worry about the noise and my little girl doesn't get chased in the house!
-Marc