BANJOLELE PROJECT
I made this "banjolele" for my youngest daughter's 17th birthday. It's not exactly fine woodworking, but she likes it, and it was fun to do.

For those interested, it's really pretty easy too. It's mostly a matter of sourcing some parts, and assembling them. You can make the whole thing from scratch if you want, but I just bought components from Ebay....concert size mahogany ukulele neck and rosewood fretboard, a 10" Suzuki hand drum (8" or 12" would work too, and/or you could use a tambourine with the jingles removed), then appropriate hardware like tuning pegs, bridge/saddle, tail piece, etc. The decals and electro-luminescent tape were optional! (the banjo head lights up on this one)

The main assembly includes just bolting the neck to the hand drum body. I sanded a slight curve on the inside of the neck where it mates to the body, and drilled some holes for two hanger bolts. I also made a small cut out in the neck for the tensioning ring around the drum head. The most important part is getting the neck flush with the drum head so the fret board sits just above it. Some paint and stain, and voila...a banjolele! A great easy way to get acquainted with building string instruments for ~ $50.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That's awesome! I already told my buddy about this thread, I smell a weekend project...
Benny

Does it sound significantly different from a regular ukelele or banjo?
jppierson said:

Does it sound significantly different from a regular ukelele or banjo?

Yeah....it's a mix, but I'm still working to get the intonation right, so am not quite certain what it's true sound will be. It definitely has more "plunk" than a uke. It sounds neat now, but should be more musical once it's tuning correctly across the whole range.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....