Chips and Sawdust all over me
I just started using the lathe I have in earnest. I'm cutting down tree trunks to make bowls. (newbie-ish turner). After ONLY a minute of turning, I am covered in chips and debris and it is most uncomfortable. What options are there to cover myself, so I don't have chips down my shirt? I imagine buying a raincoat with a hood, outside of that idea do you guys have any special strategies?
Getting used to it?

I have a shop apron and snug it up around my t-shirt. With the face shield coming down just past my chin, it keeps the majority of them out of my shirt.

Also, as you get better, you can aim the shavings somewhat. There are times when you have little choice if you want to get the best cut, but most of the time there's more than one way to make a cut.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Get a turners smock/jacket. Most of the turning shops carry them as does Amazon. A welding jacket will also do the trick. If you want full coverage you could get a Tyvek coverall in the paint section of the big box store.

Doug
The coverall sounds good. Getting used to it, is never gonna happen. Thank you for the idea.
I talk about some options in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dLU_aX5Lts
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
Since I am part of the AAW I got theirs and it has a thru pocket on the back and a small pocket on the front with Velcro.

Here are two I know of

1. Craft Supplies https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/89/...term=smock

2. Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,43413

If given the chance to get another one it would be Lee Valleys which has long sleeves, and also zips all the way to the top and the tails are longer too.

Also welcome to the turning forum and I am looking forward to seeing what you make.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thank you for the "Moment of Peace", that was good.
Thank you Arlin, for the links. I enjoy posting photos, but I don't have a place on the internet to park photographs, so that I can post them on this forum. Which is a real bummer for me.

The 65 dollar smock, looks like a great solution.
I've tried a few smocks, but my favorite is the one made by Easy Wood Tools. It is VERY lightweight, breathable and chips slide right off. I like staying cool while turning, it keeps sweat out of my eyes, and this smock is just the ticket.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thank you. I will investigate the easy tool smock.

Meanwhile, I looked at your signature website, and the "unidentified" tool, looks like a hand drill tool.

I wonder if I'm right.