HVAC questions
Looked at a house that I have been considering purchasing and noticed strange vents that I have not seen before. The AC unit is in the attic crawl space which is unusual here in KY, but what is really unusual is instead of the normal vent grates in the ceilings, there are small 2" diameter vents. Was not sure what they were at first and we adjusted the thermostat to verify. Each room has two of these vents. This is an older house built in the 1970's, were those 2" tubes normal back then for central heat and cooling?
High velocity A/C.

Expensive, but uses small duct work so its good for retrofits.

I'd bet that that house used to not have A/C.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
That would be my guess. What is the heating system?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

We call them "spacepacs"- a generic term.

Here is a little info.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/103218-...c-system-1
Thanks, that must be it. I was mistaken in that the AC unit is outside, but the heating unit is in the attic crawl space instead of the basement.

I am really liking the house. It strarted as a small 3 bedroom ranch with a 2 car garage taking up half of the basement. Someone added an addition for a master suite with another 2 car garage under it, offset from the original garrage. Three garage doors to the outside with one of the original garage doors inside seperating the two garages. Perfect for my workshop, but it is on a wooded lot with quite a few trees too close to the house and lots of remodel work to be done. Kind of torn on this one.