Starrett Combination Square
I have come to realize that the combination square I purchased several years ago from HD, just isn't square, know matter how much I try and fiddle with it. I have read that the Starrett Combination Square is the pick of the litter, when it comes to squares. Unfortunately, like most good wood working tools, it doesn't come cheap. Are these squares really as good as their name states? I have made a few homemade squares, but I was looking for 1 dependable square I wouldn't have to constantly check for squareness.

Scott
Mine has always been "as good as they say," and I have a couple. I also have an old Craftsman (probably Millers Falls, but maybe something else), and it's also good, and dead square. You should be able to post a WTB here, and maybe save a few dollars on a good used one.
A couple dollars at an office supply store will buy a drafting triangle. They are very accurate and many folks keep one around as a reference to check their working squares.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Quote:

Are these squares really as good as their name states?

None better....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

For the time being, get a plastic drafting triangle, but the tool hunting season is only beginning with the coming of spring, so watch the S&S as the regular tool mongers will be posting some for sale from time to time. I don't have any right now, but put a WTB post in the S&S and maybe someone will have a worthy square for you at considerably less than a new one, and just as square. Starrett is great, but so is B&S and others.

Another option for worthy squares is Harry Epstein who sells blem PEC squares very reasonably. These are a little on the "heavy" side, but are square and well made. Here's a link:

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/cl...etail=2797
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks for the tip on the Harry Epstein site. His combination squares are very reasonable. Are they good quality squares?
I've acquired and sold maybe a dozen PEC squares over the years, and all have checked square with my Starrett reference square. They are well made, like I said a little on the heavy side (robust heads) and not as elegant in adjustments as a Starrett, but they are reliable and certainly more than adequate for woodworking. Remember that with Harry Epstein, these are blems, so expect some finish issues, but nothing major. Go to the Products Engineering manufacturer site, they are not toys by any measure.

Edit: PS: Eventually, do pick up a Starrett in the S&S, they are better!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My every day users are vintage Craftsman and Starrett - both dead on when checked by my Starrett engineers square. Since I do a lot of small work, i find the 9" size most appropriate, so both of these are 9". Found both of them at estate sales for a couple of bucks each.

r2
If you're looking used, any of the American machinist squares will serve you well: Starrett, yes, and also Brown and Sharpe, Lufkin, Union, Millers-Falls. Mitutoyo from Japan is also a great square. Starrett has a great reputation, and commands a premium price over squares by other makers that are just as good.

Be sure you get a No. 4 or 4R (4R is better) rule, unless you work in metric or one of the oddball machinist's measures like 100ths. 4R "quick reading" rules label the 64ths (and, on some, 32nds) every four increments, so that you don't have to count off 31 64ths.

I have a Millers-Falls 1200 combination square for my carpentry work that goes no finer than 32nds, and is a lot easier to use for work that doesn't require the precision of 64ths.
Admiral said:

I've acquired and sold maybe a dozen PEC squares over the years, and all have checked square with my Starrett reference square. They are well made, like I said a little on the heavy side (robust heads) and not as elegant in adjustments as a Starrett, but they are reliable and certainly more than adequate for woodworking. Remember that with Harry Epstein, these are blems, so expect some finish issues, but nothing major. Go to the Products Engineering manufacturer site, they are not toys by any measure.

Edit: PS: Eventually, do pick up a Starrett in the S&S, they are better!

The PEC squares are good. However, being seconds you will want to check them. Of the three I've purchased (3" and 6" double squares and one 6" combo square) I found the 3" double square to be way out. You could see the groove was skewed in the ruler portion. Just swapped it out and it fine now.

Also, be aware the heads of the combo squares are definitely cast. DON'T DROP IT ON CONCRETE. I now own a very nice 6" PEC rule.

Edit to add: I do have a nice 12" Starrett 12-4R (which by the way, you can get one for $77 from Amazon right now, the cast iron head so don't drop this one either! http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-11H-12-4R...ination+square)

And I've picked up second hand a Browne & Sharpe, a good brand and just as nice to use as the Starrett and PEC. Finally out in the garage, I have a second hand Mitutoyo that is also a pleasure to use.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin