Can I put a bigger motor on my DC?
Here is what I have

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC1BXL-CF2.html

Could I put a 2hp motor on it to increase suction?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Probably will do no good ... same impeller + same motor R.P.M.s = same suction.

Bøb said:

Probably will do no good ... same impeller + same motor R.P.M.s = same suction.

What he said.
What he said. Bigger motor needs bigger (several variables here) impeller. But you might be able to extend the vanes a little. And open the inlet and outlet larger.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Its not enough for your shop? How is the ductwork setup now?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

Its not enough for your shop? How is the ductwork setup now?

If it's like the 1hp one I picked up a few years ago that was converted to a cyclone then it's barely enough for one machine. It was extremely underpowered. The HFDC is a huge upgrade over the psi 1hp blower and cheaper.
Tom

Can you tell me how to extend the vanes and how much. If they were flat would that help?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Mike

I only have 8 feet of 4" hose and that needs some help from hole I have patched up over and over. I unplug it and move it from machine to machine.

I can run 5" hose but can not find it or maybe I did awhile ago but it was expensive.

Yep 1 hp that acts like 1/2 hp

Arlin

I couldn't guess at the amount to extend them by, but if you look at the specs for a higher hp DC of the same series, you'll probably see a larger diameter impeller. It wouldn't take much to add either flow or static pressure, which are related of course. But increasing the SP without increasing the duct size won't, IMO at least, add much air flow. You could probably get more bang for the buck by opening some of the restrictions.

I got my HFDC from 10-12A up to 16A by opening the inlet and outlet, and venting it out a window with 8" flex. And that's with the added restriction of a cyclone. But with the 4" rough flex to the Unisaw base (only), there wasn't much increase in current, therefore there wasn't much increase in air flow. I did measure the actual flow, but don't remember any more what I got.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"