My latest project

I made this for my future son-in-law. It's made from all white oak (not quarter sawn) except for the reclaimed cedar back panels and the poplar drawer boxes. The solid doors was his idea verses the more common glass. The picture was taken before the finishing touches such as the gun base board and the custom locking mechanism. He wanted to pay me for it. Instead of taking his money , I gave it to my daughter's dowry.

It turned out ok. I cringed a little during the finishing as he wanted it stained a bit more golden to look more like red oak.

I used mostly scrap, old hardware, surplus drawer slides I had laying around and a lot of #2 white oak I bought on clearance from my hardwood supplier. Since the wood was discounted I used it for everything... not a bit of plywood was used.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Great job! That looks very nice. I never thought of adding a gun case to a daughter's dowery. I'll have to think about that for a while.

Well done Sir and well played!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The reclaimed cedar back panels really make this piece.
Lucky SIL. That's a handsome piece of furniture. Like the cove details at the top of the lower and upper cases. Subtle for a large scale piece of furniture, but it works.

Nice job.
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
tag said:

The reclaimed cedar back panels really make this piece.

They were the worst looking cedar deck boards I've ever removed. I questioned even saving them but ended up thinking I could cut them up and burn them if they were too bad to ever use. But, when you only need panels 1/2" and you can plane 1/4" off each face you can eventually find good wood. I ended up cutting a slot in each edge and inserting loose splines of poplar prepainted black to fill the groove. This way the rough edges wont show daylight no matter if the board shrinks or moves even with the healthy gap.
RedBob said:

Lucky SIL. That's a handsome piece of furniture. Like the cove details at the top of the lower and upper cases. Subtle for a large scale piece of furniture, but it works.

Nice job.
Bob

Thank you.

The doors have full 1" thick stiles and with the 1/2" WO panels were pretty heavy. I actually went with extended tenons at the joints to add strength and hopefully keep them from racking. A few weeks ago the daughter and FSIL were visiting from college and I put them to work cleaning out all the mortises. They were at it for quite a few hours and saved me quite a job. It was nice to have them in the shop and I think the future son-in-law does not fear me quite so much anymore.
I like it. One of my favorite designs.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Very nice and sounds like you're getting a nice addition to the family!

Doug
Nice work done at bargain prices, and with reused and surplus materials, plus a shared experience with the Daughter and FSIL. Hardly gets more ++++ marks than that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW