Spear & Jackson 4tpi Rip w PICS
I picked this up at a yard sale today. I would like to find out it's approximate age and if this is a common saw. Blade needs some work, but I've dealt with worse. Any info is appreciated.

John
Spear &Jackson were prolific saw producers, 1830s-1980s.
Yours looks to to me to be from around the 1880s with its stamped blade (not etched) and its medallion type.
Your handle style was made from the early days, and although the "lamb's tongue" shape of the lower edge was still advertised in their 1910 catalogue, your upper edge shape is of an older style
Looks like a nice saw with plenty of blade depth
I have a S&J with a handle just like yours. Also a stamped blade. I had to give it new upper horn though. This is a strange saw... It's crosscut with 12-1/2 PPI. The blade is extra thin and willowy. When I cleaned the blade I didn't remove the handle because I didn't want to disturb the screw heads for fear of effecting the wood around the heads. It is obvious that the screws had never been turned and I didn't want to be the first. Took awhile to file all those small teeth. I cuts exceptionally smooth but it is easy to bow the blade while sawing. With teeth that small, you don't want to rush the cut anyway. The extra thin blade forces you to let the saw do it's thing and not force it. All I did to the handle was to steelwool it with 0000 grit and paste wax.
Here's a pic..
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Thanks for the history and the restoration tips. I didn't need another saw, but I couldn't leave it in the pile of rusted tools. Even though I swore I wouldn't buy another saw. Once I saw how nice the handle could be, I would have paid twice as much as the $10 price sticker.
John
That's a great saw, nice find.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn't have passed that up either! It's in great condition for its age, and I think you will find it an excellent user. Great find!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
+1 ..... enjoy and anxious to see it after you cleaned and re sharpen it.

Steve