Stupid and dangerous woodworking mistake #47
So I was setting up to cut a rabbit on the table saw. I had a sacrificial board placed against my saw fence and pushed over to the blade when the phone rang...and you can probably guess the rest. I came back from the call and kicked on the saw without clamping the board to the fence. It didn't quite come out at kick back velocity, but still hurt like hell when it hit the inside of my elbow. At least a couple of morals to this story, but lesson learned.
I thought that was stupid and dangerous woodworking mistake 53. Glad your okay.
One Ozark American
I imagine interruptions in the shop, and just like you did............probably responsible for a lot of injuries. Thankful you just got a lesson instead of a serious lifetime injury.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Good to remind us all to pay attention.

About 10 days ago I was using a belt/disc sander combination, reached around to grab something and my left index finger brushed against the disc and I sanded off half of my fingernail down to the nail bed. Ouch. Bled like a stuck pig all over my work. Very nice sanding job, I had to admit. Hard to type for a week, but its healing up nicely. I'm thankful for the lesson and thankful it wasn't a tablesaw......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Lesson: Let the answering machine/voice mail get the phone! Of course I am a hobbyist and the phone is not part of my customer service.

The phone is a very interesting thing. Most people feel the need to make it a priority. I have been at Home Depot, attempting to get the attention of an associate, who is busy with a customer. I have walked away, by a few aisle and called on my cell to get the answer I need, making the face to face customer wait.

At work I will answer on the first ring, if possible. It is good customer service. At home, the phone is there for MY convenience.

While the lesson is to pay attention, the lesson is also, don't let unimportant things distract you.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
ed kerns said:

... rabbit ... table saw... sacrificial...

Definitely a mistake.

Rabbits may chew the cud, but they don't cleave the hoof. Totally un-kosher.

You are correct sir -it is rabbet.
Doesn't hurt any less though!
If that's the worst think that happens to you this year, count your blessings.

My thing this year is cutting myself with chisels because I'm not thinking about where my hand is......
ed kerns said:

So I was setting up to cut a rabbit on the table saw. I had a sacrificial board placed against my saw fence and pushed over to the blade when the phone rang...and you can probably guess the rest. I came back from the call and kicked on the saw without clamping the board to the fence. It didn't quite come out at kick back velocity, but still hurt like hell when it hit the inside of my elbow. At least a couple of morals to this story, but lesson learned.

Stupid happens, 1/4 inch plywood for a drawer bottom kick back. Healing nicely in the pic, opened it up enough to scare the H _ _ L out of me, it was ugly but the flap closed up nice, all it took was a little twist of the plywood, didn't have the guard on.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708
Ouch!!! Chills up my spine.