Jointer issue?
I purchased new blades for my Delta 37-190, 6" jointer. One height set screw is stuck. Got a temp fix on it so I can use the tool. I tried muscle, heat and oil to get the screw loose, but the allen drive is shot in the screw. This is a special screw with a point. Can I drill the height nut (another special part) and get the set screw out? What to do about this screw, as it is no longer available? Freakin metric too!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Not actually being able to see the problem I'll take a shot at it.
If you can cut a slot with a Dremel tool you may be able to unscrew the height screw.If not, try hot gluing an allen wrench in the screw.
I imagine you are referring to the jack screws. I don't use them even though my jointer has them.If you really need that screw then buy a similar threaded screw.Put a point on the screw after cutting to length.Put a screw in your drill head on jaws.Rotate the drill chuck against the rotation of the grinder wheel til you get a point.
Run a die over the thread to clean it up.Could be the screw is metric.
You could re-tap for imperial threads if you want.
mike
get a metric screw as long as the original even without a pointed end

You can do that yourself

getting the other out probably should be done with care if you cannot find the holder but it is possible. A good setup in the drill press (bonus for a cross vice and using it) will either drill it out or maybe with some power behind the drill heat it enough to remove it. you may need a tap if the screw does not come out as you drill
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Have you tried an screw extractor. These have worked well for me in the past, http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?part...w&cId=PDIO1
PaulM85 said:

Have you tried an screw extractor. These have worked well for me in the past, http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?part...w&cId=PDIO1

Thats too big.

I see the part online, less the jack screw. They call it a nut, it is round with a flat to lift the blade. Probably a 1/2" in diameter. I did not want to mangle it and be left with nothing to work with.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!

Seems these guys have the nuts so all you have to do is shell out the $$ and locate a metric set screw to fill the new nut

found right here
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Well, if you can find the thread size and give me a length, I may be able to send a metric set screw. I have had to buy a quantity of them before when I only needed 1 or 2. Another option is to go to an Ace Hardware or True Value. They have those thread gauges and assorted set screws. You can probably get what you need there.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Much appreciated! I needed new jointer blades and wanted a second set, so I bought from Holbren. I will order a new nut and deal with it later. Doubt I will have to change the blades for a while, as I don't use the tool too often.

Thanks for everyones input. What I did do was use a soda can for shims under the jack screw. Just want to be prepared if the blade drops for some reason.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!