What kind of Dust Collection do you use
and why?

Do you only turn or have a whole shop and it goes to each machine?

Why do you like it?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
One machine at a time, GI can "cyclone". I move the intake as required. Just one dustmaker (me) in the shop at a time, so it works fine. Only need it at the lathe when sanding.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use a large shop vac and a dust deputy.I work in the second bedroom in our apartment so there is not much room left.I dont think they would like a big dc,as it is I have a small drill press,band saw,sharpening grinder and sander plus the lathe.That is changing as we are moving into my late fil's house so I will have a garage again.Might go bigger if i can later.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
Dustpan & a broom.
One machine at a time. I have ports on the TS, RAS and router table. The rest get swept into the DC.
Don
Herb G said:

Dustpan & a broom.

You forgot to mention why you like it. I imagine the pro's are that the initial cost was low, extremely low maintainence and high reliability. Also, extremely dependable.

I have a Jet dust collector that cost 150$. It has permanent hookups to the drum sander, planer and jointer. I like it just fine. Simply use one gate at a time. If a 2nd gate is open, it still works fine. With a drum sander it is a must (my opinion). The only downside, is that after emptying the bag, it is not the easiest bag to re-insert. I've been using the original bag for 10 years and is just fine without replacing the bag.

I use a separate shop-vac with the on/off sensor thingy at the outlet. I use it for the chop/mitre saw and router. (gates for each tool). That arrangement works excellent.
So does the pressure go down with the other gates?

I only have 1 direct 8' 4" tube to do all the DC and it will not do to well picking chips off of the floor.

Either I have a dud machine or something else is wrong.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
1.5 HP jet, plumbed to the disc sander., wide belt sander and bandsaw. I also have a ceiling mounted JDS air filter
I have a 24 by 36 shop. One room for my big lathe, mostly flat work tools (all but table saw are on wheels) and wood in the rest of the shop. I have a centralized Oneida 3 hp system with cyclone and pleated paper filter. I could have gotten by with a 2 hp system, but it would have been minimal. With the 3 hp system I can run 2 machines at once. I do have one video clip up about DC systems.. Anyway, I had a 1 hp system on a cart with just the dust bag on it. It was okay, but a pain to move from machine to machine, and trip over hose and extension cord. The centralized system was a huge time saver. The cyclone is a must as well. Anything that gets sucked up in the hose drops out into the cyclone before going through the impeller blades. Bent the ones up on my little system a number of times. Amazing what can get sucked up into the vacuum.... Shavings get picked up with big scoop shovel and rake, along with just about anything that falls on the floor. I do have a FM type remote so I don't have to point it at the machine to turn it on. The one in the turning room stays on a hook on the wall as I lost one to the shavings. I have a second out in the shop that floats from machine to machine. Pleated paper filters are far better than the cloth bags. Most of them will take out much finer particles, but they also offer several times the surface area to vent through compared to the same diameter cloth bag. When things are seeming to slow down, that is a good indicator that the dust filter is plugged up. I have filled it up with shop debris from not checking the barrel so it gets full and over flows. A shop vac will move air through the hose at a faster velocity, but the dust collectors move far more volume. One tool for the shop that you should not skimp on.

robo hippy
Is the DC new? If not make sure there are no leaks on the DC. Check where the motor goes into the DC. If you feel air it's an issue.

Your not getting much from a 1 hp unfortunately. At least a 2 is needed.
Don