1966 Powermatic Table Saw
I may be going to look at a PM table saw, that is 3ph. My concern would be converting to 1ph. Are there motor mounting issues and what kind of cost would I be looking at for a 3hp 1ph motor. Recently I picked up a 1ph 2hp motor, would that work OK on this saw, if a 3hp costs too much? I guess one thing would be to make sure the motor speeds are the same. Anything to look out for on the saw in general? How are replacement parts to source?

Thanks,
Bob
Leeson 3hp 1ph from Nothern is 400. Grizzly will have a cheaper one. I would personally go with the Leeson though if you wanted to buy new.

Mounting should not be an issue.

The 2hp you have would be the one I would use if it is TEFC and can be mounted properly with little effort.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
The 2HP motor I have is a good brand, although I can't recall it right now and I think it came from the local mill. It was mounted to a TS I found at the dump (yes I'm a dump picker). The saw was an old craftsman table top and the motor is huge on the saw. I grabbed it just for the motor and it turned out to run fine. It was going to be a spare for the jointer and bandsaw I recently purchased, but it would be a cheap replacement for this saw. Are 3ph motors worth anything?

Bob
There is an easy solution if you like this saw; 3 phase for a 3HP saw can be converted with a VFD, i.e. a variable frequency device. Factorymation makes one, the FM50 for ~$150, a lot less than the cost of new motor. Easy peasy.

Doug
You need a C face motor since the motor bolts directly to the mount. On the face of the shaft side you will see screw hole. If your 2hp doesn't have them it won't fit.
Don
Tapper said:

There is an easy solution if you like this saw; 3 phase for a 3HP saw can be converted with a VFD, i.e. a variable frequency device. Factorymation makes one, the FM50 for ~$150, a lot less than the cost of new motor. Easy peasy.

Doug

This is the correct answer. As already noted, its a C-face motor and, while you can get a replacement, the VFD will do the same thing, cost less and be done quicker.

Factor in the VFD in your price. I'm guessing the 3ph PM won't be too expensive anyway though.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
How much power does the VFD subtract? 30%?

Just something to keep in mind. A 3ph with the VFD will produce as much power as the 2hp you have already. So if the 2hp fits then it is a no brainier. I'm thinking it is not going to fit right though if you need a C face.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Motor variants for a PM 66 are listed below.

6472028.................. Electric Motor, 3HP, 1Ph, 3600 RPM, 230V, 145 TC Frame ................... 1

6472033.................. Electric Motor, 3HP, 1Ph, 3600 RPM, 230V, 145 TC Frame (50Hz).................

6471720.................. Electric Motor, 2HP, 3Ph, 3600 RPM, 230/460V, 145 TC Frame.................

6471723.................. Electric Motor, 2HP, 1Ph, 3600 RPM, 115/230V, 145 TC Frame.................

6472024.................. Electric Motor, 3HP, 3Ph, 3600 RPM, 200V, 147 TC Frame.................

6472025.................. Electric Motor, 3HP, 3Ph, 3600 RPM, 230/460V, 145 TC Frame.................

6472307.................. Electric Motor, 5HP, 3Ph, 3600 RPM, 230/460V, 184 C Frame.................

6472335.................. Electric Motor, 5HP, 1Ph, 3600 RPM, 230V, 184 C Frame

Source

You could also contact PM Customer Service It's been my experience they are pretty friendly, and no matter which era tool I inquired about they gave me solid info.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Axehandle said:

How much power does the VFD subtract? 30%?

Just something to keep in mind. A 3ph with the VFD will produce as much power as the 2hp you have already. So if the 2hp fits then it is a no brainier. I'm thinking it is not going to fit right though if you need a C face.

Someone will correct this if I'm wrong, but I don't think you lose power with a VFD (at 60 hertz), but it may use slightly more juice to run.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another vote for the VFD - Automation Direct is a good company to deal with. (no connection to them)

You do not lose power with a VFD.

You lose 30% or more of rated HP with a Static Converter (also they can run the motor hotter).

And keep in mind a 3 ph motor is a very simple thing compared to a single ph motor. That's why industry prefers them. Fewer parts, less maintenance. Almost person proof.

No capacitors, no centrifugal switches.

te