I need to move my lathe tools
It is on the wall behind the lathe. It is cool here today and a light jacket feels good rather than fire up the heat. I reached over the spinning piece to get a different tool. I could feel the coat tail wanting to wrap on the piece even though the bowl was fairly smooth. I need to move it rather than have an accident.

I have a couple ideas to sort out but what do you use. I'm leaning towards a freestanding one as opposed to move closer to my work bench and using the back wall. My bench space is limited and I can see it would add to cleanup. The wall where the chisels are now I could add a little badly needed storage.

Thanks.
" />
why not turn the lathe 180*

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I would suggest some place out of the way, like NH.

As a matter of fact, I am willing to offer my address as a location.

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I have a Delta Midi Lathe clamped to a bench & made a holder that hangs off the side of the bench. If you post a picture of your lathe/setup, it'd probably help.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Thanks for the replies. As for turning it around I know it sounds silly but I get claustrophobic.(sp) The freight to NH would be a terrible and the deal killer is I have one of those dreaded Grizzly lathes. I really like the stand on rollers. That is close to what I have in mind.

As for pics sorry I don't have the ability or the patience to do them. I keep my life simple.
I saw the Ron Brown Turning Mate Mobile Turning Tool Caddy in the Peachtree booth at AAW in Pittsburgh last year. It looked very practical (as long as you aren't trying to roll it around when the shavings pile is deep). I had intended to bring one home with me, but I got back to the dealer's room too late on the last day.

I have a couple of old oscilloscope carts that I use to hold the tools in use. On the smaller one, I use one of the wire wine bottle holders to stop the chisels and calipers from rolling off the cart.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
What I use most of the time when I am turning is a 5 gal joint compound bucket full of chips/shavings at my feet.

When I change tools, I just push it down into the shavings and grab the one I want. I rarely need more than a few chisels in one session. The ones in the bucket are kinda like the speed rack a bartender uses.

When the lathe is off, they mostly live on the wall or in a drawer.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
Patsfan said:

What I use most of the time when I am turning is a 5 gal joint compound bucket full of chips/shavings at my feet.

When I change tools, I just push it down into the shavings and grab the one I want. I rarely need more than a few chisels in one session. The ones in the bucket are kinda like the speed rack a bartender uses.

When the lathe is off, they mostly live on the wall or in a drawer.

+1.

Except mine has sand in it and I made a dolly for it to sit in with wheels

I never reach across lathe without turning it off. You got lucky
Patsfan said:

I would suggest some place out of the way, like NH.

As a matter of fact, I am willing to offer my address as a location.

My place is more out of the way and you don't have to worry about heating or cooling...
VH07V