Any So Calif turner here wanna make a buck?
I have a client whose home I am remodeling and need to replace a finial on one of the gables. The existing one is termite damaged. Need to make one that somewhat resembles it. It is about 5' long, about half is turned and the remainder square(6" wide per side).
If anybody is interested I can send pics.
I'd need it completed within 2 weeks.
What wood do you want it made from?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Whatever is paintable and won't split over time.
Finials are typically made out of cypress.
I am very sure one of the guys here can make it if the sample is mailed to them.

I would but full up making flowers for Mothers day and then using the money to buy things for the vets we have wanted for a while.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's the rub, mailing it takes too much time and if it is lost in the mail I'm gonna have an irate client.
On the splitting part if a turner soaks the item in oil long enough it will saturate the wood and should last for a LONG time.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The current one is about 100 years old and hasn't split. Quality of lumber was substantially better in those days.
This home is somewhat of a tudor with plenty of wood detail. 2x8s that are actually 2x8. Fortunately I can mill that myself.
the length will put the vast majority of turners out of the game if you want one solid piece. I'd recommend splitting it from where it goes from square to round. No special lathe needed then.
One solid piece would be preferred, but 2 joined together would be fine.
laminated Yellow poplar should be fine if painted. I can handle that length and diameter. Minnesota