Composite deck
My 20 year old cedar deck has served me well. Occasionally I have replaced a few boards, but it's time to replace the entire thing. I'm considering composite, but there are so many and it's very expensive.
Opinions please.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Real Watersports down in North Carolina on the Outer Banks has some sort of gray and brown composite decking and it gets HOT. Like so hot that it will burn bare feet. So something to think about.
There are no perfect decking materials but only what is right for you and for your application. Composite decking varies widely in cost, construction quality, materials, building guidelines, installation methods, features, warranty, color, availability by location, etc.. Figuring that all out will help narrow the choices.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Trex makes (or sells) steel under structure for residential decks. I saw it on a TV show and the builder was raving about it. All the pieces were arrow-straight and will never warp. The specs read like powdercoating over galvanized steel.

Especially with plastic decking I think this makes sense as any warping under plastic decking will telegraph through the decking.

It is supposed to be lighter and stronger and it allows for curved decking.

http://www.thedeckstoreonline.com/deckin...tions.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used TimberTech composite decking after I completely replaced the 2x6 cedar boards twice in 10 years. I used hidden fasteners to installed the approximately 400 sqft. It was over 3 years old when we sold the house and still looked brand new.

mbw said:

My 20 year old cedar deck has served me well. Occasionally I have replaced a few boards, but it's time to replace the entire thing. I'm considering composite, but there are so many and it's very expensive.
Opinions please.
Thanks in advance
Mark

I have Green Bay Geodeck and I hate it. It needs washing every year (unlike my previous wood deck, which may have been every three). It also looks rather bland compared to wood. Oh, and it's about as easy to wash as rough concrete - the stuff just does not come off. Maybe other composites are good, but I abhor mine.
I have never stepped on one in full sun in the summer that didn't burn my feet. I can't stand the stuff.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
our composite deck doesn't seem to get particularly hot. Of course, here we are in mid-May and my hands are cold typing at my computer, so YMMV. I'm guessing that in a hotter climate, only wood will do. I forget what brand our decking is. It might be a little boring, but I like it.
Top end composite decking costs as much as Ipe'. That being the case, I went with Ipe'. My friend had his built with the high end composite because he didn't want to do any maintenance. Turns out, he still has to power wash it a couple of times a year, and it scratches very easily. You need to clean and apply a new coat of oil to Ipe' every year unless you like how it looks weathered (I don't - yet). I'd call it a wash on maintenance. If you scratch Ipe' it just disappears with the next oiling. If it's really bad you can sand it out.

John
Good luck picking one that is right for you.

In my neck of the woods it makes some sense because termites won't eat it, and being in a mild climate termites tend to eat all year 'round. And yes, termites eat the cedar and redwood you can buy these days. And the pressure treated stuff too. That is the only advantage I see to the composites.

For good information you might see if there are some places local to you that especially cater to the deck builders. I have such a place in my locale. They are not your normal lumberyard. This is their specialty. They can provide good information about the options that work well in your neck of the woods. Assuming you can find such a place. Alternatively seek out the lumberyards that are not Borg lumberyards but rather professional contractor lumber yards.