Wet sanding technique
I'm about ready to apply finish to a large floor mirror (6' x 3') I'm making as a wedding present for my oldest son and his lovely betrothed. It's made entirely of walnut, 4" wide flat stock and a complex molding around the outer edges. I've never wet sanded anything-unless you count the drink that spilled on another project long ago and not very far away.

I plan to use Watco Dark Walnut (subject to testing) and need to know what I need to know, including:

1. What prep is required--I plan to do all sanding by hand. The molding will be a challenge, I'm sure, but I'm going to make a matching form out of bondo (tip I recall out of some tip book I saw years ago) (Any better ideas on the form would be appreciated,

2. What type, grits of sandpaper? I got some of that 3m flexible paper for the molding and I suppose for consistency, I probably should us it on the flat stuff as well, but again, I'm all ears for better approaches.

3. I assume a hardwood block to carry the paper-I'm guessing my felt or cork blocks won't fare too well in the Watco.

4. General application tips. How long to keep the Watco on, when to wipe off, how many applications, etc.

I'll probably use shellac or wipe on semi gloss poly as a top coat, unless there's a better choice.

On the other hand, just point me to a good tutorial and I'll go away quietly.

Any tips would be appreciated. Grandkids' (if I'm so lucky) could be at stake.

Thank
Tony
You might want to take a look at these Contour Sanding Grips .

Can you spray? If so I'd just get some shellac and mix my own (1#cut) in a color I like. I think that garnet looks nice on walnut but you can change the color using TrasTint in the shellac. I would not think that a mirror like that would need a topcoat so a couple coats of shellac and you are done. I generally don't go above 120 grit for prep and use very light sanding between coats with 220 grit.It's better to use a couple coats to sneak up on the final color.

BTW test carefully and keep good notes so you can repeat the shade for repair or future projects.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
You'll thank me later
If I'm wetsanding a flat surface with WATCO I use 320 on the finish sander. For what you're doing, I'd probably use 220 and then maybe a follow up with 320 after the 220 gives you some slurry. I'd also question use of the tinted WATCO, especially if you have any sapwood. Heartwood will take it well enough... the sapwood will look bad. In my experience, anyway.
I prefer a block with some give. My preferred block is homosote or the pink or blue at lumber yards.
I recently completed a black walnut table finished with five coats of liber on finishing oil. After the first few coats I applied the oil with oooo steel wool also liber on and the finish was fantastic. Sort of sanding between coats I will definitely do that again