Need a pen turners lathe.
I've been helping one of my daughters classmates learn to turn pens and his dad asked me to help him find a suitable lathe for him so he can do it in his garage instead of him always coming to my shop. This young man is 14 and his dad only wants to spend maybe a couple hundred dollars just in case this is just a phase. I told him I'd look for a used one but I'm not sure what to look for since I just started learning how to turn pens with him on my 3520B. I told him I'd help the kid get set up with a few tools and things and if he burns out I'll buy the lathe from him and put it in my shop. I might as well start collecting lathes to go along with my router collection.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have.

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
the 3520B is way too much lathe for him right now. Maybe something like the Rikon used would be more suited. As for tools don't waste money on the small pen tools, buy full size, many on here suggest the Benjaman's best to start with and of course learn to sharpen. I am sure others may have better suggestions.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Used is the only way he is going to limit his spending a couple hundred. Even a small jet like the 1014 isn't going to be cheap. A bench top lathe is his best bet, whatever the brand.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Jeff

This is the lathe I first started with and really liked it until I learned I could get a larger swing in the Delta 46-460

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10VS.html

Works great and great price too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As Mel said, the Rikon is probably your most affordable quality option. Ive never seen a good used lathe for sale near me. You can try www.searchtempest.com to look on multiple Craigslists if you don't mind driving a bit.
Thanks for the ideas so far. I appreciate it.

Jeff
Jeff - First, he's lucky to have a teacher that lives near by. Second, its going to cost a LOT more than a couple of hundred to buy the lathe, tools and sharpening set up. +1 on full size tools. Then comes a low speed grinder and wolverine attachment(s).
+1 on the Rikon. The 70-100 is a good, basic, six speed lathe, and is ideal for pens. It's also got a 12" swing, so he can move on to other things and not run out of room too soon. Just make sure that he uses the stupid washer between his spindle and any chucks that he puts on there, unlike this person.

Its got a five year warranty on it as well, and the folks at Rikon are really nice and helpful if you run into a snag. A new one will set you back around $400, not sure on the used market, but if you can find one, they're a lot of bang for the buck.

They've also got a smaller one specifically sold as a pen lathe that's about 300, but I don't know anything else about that one.

Remember to tell his dad that he'll need chisels and gouges, pen mandrel, blanks, kits, bushings, finish, etc., etc., etc.

Woodcraft shows the 70-100 with a pen starter kit for 550. I haven't priced it all out, since I'm not trying to get someone started, but it might be a decent buy.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Sawdustd said:

Jeff - First, he's lucky to have a teacher that lives near by. Second, its going to cost a LOT more than a couple of hundred to buy the lathe, tools and sharpening set up. +1 on full size tools. Then comes a low speed grinder and wolverine attachment(s).

I told his dad I'd help get him set up with a few tools and things to get him started. His dad is a teacher and mom is a stay at home mom so they don't have unlimited funds so I'll do whatever I can to help. He teaches at the Christian school my daughter attends and is an awesome dad and great influence on all the kids so I don't mind helping. Last year I helped in my daughters and his sons class with them to carve/whittle two chess sets and then there were 5 kids that came over to my shop over the summer to learn some basics and this young man is one who has stuck with it and fell in love with turning.

I got a message from Just Dave that he has a lathe that should work but need to figure out how to get it from Seattle to Medford, OR. Thanks again for the help everybody.

Jeff
Harbor Freight - 8 in. x 12 in. 1/3 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe Item#95607

great "cheap" little variable speed lathe for turning pens. If you turn using only bushings, all you'll need is a #1MT carbide tipped dead center or a #1MT mandrel if you use a mandrel.