grounding a dust collection system to prevent static shocks
I recently finished my router table, and after watching some YouTube videos, built a simple dust collection system to collect the dust in a bucket before it gets to the ShopVac that powers the system. The first 2 times I used the system, a huge shock from static electricity was felt when I opened the buckets to see how everything was working. I now see I need some grounding to eliminate the problem. Some short pieces of PVC piping and PVC connectors were used, but most of the piping is flexible ShopVac hoses that I had.

What have you guys done to fix this problem?

roger901
I use a heavy metal washer attached to 14 GA wire that dangles from the side of the Dust Deputy and touches the shop floor.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Take a piece of copper wire, stick it in the bucket, then to a plumbing pipe. You can drill a tiny hole in the side of the bucket just big enough for the wire to go thru.
I'd use solid wire, not stranded.
Increase the RH.

Touch first with something besides myself when I see the machine has grown fur.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Is it a plastic bucket? Can you change it to a metal one that would ground itself to the floor?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)