Camo versus Kreg
New deck this spring, any opinions on the aforementioned deck screw devices .
Thanks in advance
Mark
Neither. Hate to say it but face screw it as its much more reliable in the long term. None of the hidden fastener systems stand the test of time yet.
I used the Camo system on a trex deck 3 years ago and it is still fine. I'm not sure I would use it on solid wood decking.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Not sure which is better but there was a deal at Rockler for the Kreg with 800 screws for $79 and free shipping not sure it is still there but it was last week
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Robert Adams said:

Neither. Hate to say it but face screw it as its much more reliable in the long term. None of the hidden fastener systems stand the test of time yet.

Robert does that also include the biscuit style fastners
I have used plastic and metal biscuit ones. The metal ones were better. The last time I checked that deck it still looked good but it's only 2 years old. It may turn out to be a winner for hidden but I'm not sure yet.

I should have said it also depends on your decking. The treated stuff doesn't work well at all with hidden because it shrinks massive amounts. I use bar clamps to get the boards as tight as I can and within days of install it will already have 1/4" gaps and they will get bigger. The hidden screws just tear out of the wood and the clips come out of the groove or biscuit.

The cedar at least here is quite soft. Pretty but soft and splitty and those toe screws tend to split the corners off.

The solid trex etc stuff is ok with it but I don't have much experience with it as its pricey and people don't like it here because it is extremely hot on bare feet in the summer here.

There are some metal ones that screw from underneath that I have not used.

I have just found that if you want it to stay down use two screws per joist.

Oh and the camo stuff has been clearanced from lowes a couple times. It's an odd screw as well.
I would have to go with Robert on this one. Faced screwed, two screws into every joist.

Another thing to think about is if you ever have to replace a board. Faced screwed is easy, hidden, not so much.
I've been looking at deck fasteners as well and one of the proposed advantages of the Camo system is that you can easily remove a single board if it needs to be replaced.
Bob,
Thanks for all that great info. I was thinking of composite, but my deck is in full sun, and I like to go barefoot. So more than likely cedar with surface fastners. Great advice thanks.
Mark
I used the Phantom deck fasteners 8 years ago and have not had one problem. Three different deck using them everyone that see my sister in laws love the no screws showin