Radon Testing
Anyone have radon testing done in their house??? If so what is involved??? Selling a house and one of the new requirements is to have a Radon Test. I am sure the pro will do a better test but Has anyone used those test kits from Home Depot or lowes??? How accurate are they and what is involved in that???
John T.
http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Tell the buyer they can pay for the test, and any mitigation they deem necessary.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Phil Thien said:

<a href="ttp://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html" >ttp://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html</a>

Tell the buyer they can pay for the test, and any mitigation they deem necessary.

Phil that link did not come through.
John T.
Put an h on the front of the ttp
Interesting read. I thought I had seen a lot less "news" reports on radon in the past few years. I'm selling a home with a basement (and just bought one) and around here (out in the sticks) you hardly ever hear anyone mention it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
There is no need for a pro for radon testing. There really is no such thing as a pro.

Usually, it's incumbent on the buyer to pay the inspector to do the testing. There is usually an up-charge of about $100 for the radon test. But that's not your problem. The can is about $30. Then the inspector has to come back , pick it up and send it in to the lab.

This is a reputable kit and company if you want to do it yourself but the buyer probably won't accept your data.
Snipe Hunter said:

This is a reputable kit and company if you want to do it yourself but the buyer probably won't accept your data.

If I were a buyer, I'd get it done myself. I wouldn't expect or want a seller's home inspection report, of any sort.
Like others, I have used kits that are available at a big box store.

Pretty simple. Buy the kit ($9, IIRC) follow the instructions, send it off, pay $35 for the testing to the lab, and get results back via e-mail.

I don't know what constitutes "proof" of completion if your jurisdiction requires one for house sale closing.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Sorry, I fixed it.

Long and short of it is, there is really no proof that exposure to radon coming into basements causes lung cancer, it is all bogus science.

But the inspectors and mitigation companies have turned it into quite an income-producing business.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Phil Thien said:

[blockquote]JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Sorry, I fixed it.

Long and short of it is, there is really no proof that exposure to radon coming into basements causes lung cancer, it is all bogus science.

But the inspectors and mitigation companies have turned it into quite an income-producing business.

[/blockquote]

I believe this is true. You did not hear of this that much years ago. Just last year my Realtor was telling me, in NJ the winter was so harsh and cold that come spring just about every house failed this inspection and there was a lot of houses mitigated. The buyer is paying for the inspection. I just wanted to do my own to see if his matches mine and if there is differences I maybe able to fight this.

I feel this is another one of those things that the buyer should fix to his liking because I am going to do the barest of minimum if it comes to that. In the mean time if it ever warms up here again I will vent the basement.
John T.