Router Table
So I have been putting this off for a number of years because mine is functional. But I would really like to buy a router table. I don't have the time or inclination to build one on my own. I have enough projects of things that I would enjoy building that I don't care to do it myself.

So that being said...I can't really find one I'm all that excited about! I'm not too keen on the open steel stands but that seemed to be all that's commercially available besides the one from Rockler.

If you were in the market for a router table what would you recommend? Let's say $800 although less would obviously be better.
-Marc

I bought one of these about 12 years ago. I made the fence taller with a couple t-tracks, but otherwise everything is original.

http://www.rt1000.com/us$.html
Interesting. I hadn't seen these before. Essentially it's Norm's router table right?
-Marc

IME the utility of the table depends on two things: the fence and the lift (assuming that the table is well built). I have a Incra LS25WFNCSYS 25-inch Range Positioner with Split Router Table Fence Super System and it has saved a POC Skill table from the dumpster. I still plan to buy or build A good table. You should look at a horizontal table like the Woodhaven or for a simple build see New Horizontal Router Mortiser with Tilitng X-Table looks like an easy build. The Side Winder Router Lift is the best thaat I have seen assuming that it fits your table and router.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
WaterlooMarc said:

Interesting. I hadn't seen these before. Essentially it's Norm's router table right?

Very similar. Built very well. Shipping is costly from Canada but overall the price is not too bad compared to many tables being commercially sold today.
I bought one of the RT-1000 years ago also. It has worked great. Well built and quality materials. As Foghorn says, the fence could be a little taller, but that's my only complaint.
I'm thinking for $800.00 you could hire a woodworker to build you one and maybe even have an incra fence on it.
For The Love Of Wood
Used to be that shapers started at 2000$.
Not any more.
Would opt for a used (or new) shaper.
It has all the features built-in that router tables $truggle to include.
Routers?
Pat Warner
Before my Rockler I'd never used a router table other than a very small one a little bit.

For my relatively few projects the Rockler with its standard fence and other accessories serves me quite well. I get by OK without a lift, perhaps because I've never used one.

I did build a relatively simple 3-drawer cabinet to go inside the Rockler's metal frame. It holds my bits and such quite well.

For me I couldn't even begin to justify the work of building or the cost of buying a Norm-style table.
Phydeaux
LGuthrie said:

I bought one of the RT-1000 years ago also. It has worked great. Well built and quality materials. As Foghorn says, the fence could be a little taller, but that's my only complaint.

Dittos - I bought one here in SNS well over ten years ago. I did have to do some "tweaking" to it but I'm sure they've improved since then. I use it often and it does a very nice job. Stuck a Woodpecker PRL loaded with a PC 7518 in it and it just keeps on going.

BTW, I think Routerman mentioned shapers, a totally different animal. I have friend who has one in a home shop and it seems to do OK for him. If you go that route, make sure you take a look at how much cutting tools for that machine cost. Nothing like buying router bits.

Doug