Delta table saw Router table extension
Looking to see if anyone has added a router table to the side of their table saw. Shop space is at a premium and I think I can free up a lot of space if I get rid of my current router table. I have the delta contractor table saw and it has space on the right wing where I could add a router table. Seems like I could just build a frame and drop in a piece of melamine board into it. Then use my current router plate and t track for it. I'd like to incorporate my current router fence into the table saw's fence as well. Any ideas or pictures of what you've done would be appreciated.
Google is your friend. Thousands of pictures online, Dona google image search.
cvillewood said:

Google is your friend. Thousands of pictures online, Dona google image search.

Thanks bud, would have never thought of that.

Unfortunately usually after looking at a picture of a google image I don't have a way to ask those people questions about how they like it, what they may do differently. I know I've spent the time making plenty of things and then realized I would do it totally different. But thanks again for your thoughtful insight.
I hated mine so much I built a router table.

Partly for me the issue was trying to find a place out of the way enough of TS operations( I do a lot of sheet stock work) that it just made no sense to keep it in the extension

YMMV
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I made a router table for my ts
At first, I used the ts fence, with a clamped on fence for the router.
I soon discovered at times I needed to use the fence to rip a piece, and was loosing the router fence setup, by moving the fence.
A separate fence solved that problem.
Thinking of making a new extension router table, and am thinking of having 2 routers in it. Wonder if 3 would fit!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
JGrout said:

I hated mine so much I built a router table.

Partly for me the issue was trying to find a place out of the way enough of TS operations( I do a lot of sheet stock work) that it just made no sense to keep it in the extension

YMMV

Thanks Joe for the response. What did you find got in your way. If the bit is lowered or removed, I can't see how it actually wouldn't help with the table saw, giving longer support to crosscuts.
When all I had was a router ( no shaper back then) the issue was not getting rid of the bit or the router rather it was losing the setup and having to go through the set up process all over again.

It happened enough to me that I realized just how much time I lost to doing it over
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've never done it but have thought about it from time to time. What keeps me from doing is the difference in height. My router table is a good 6" taller than my table saw. May not be an issue for you, but maybe something else to consider.
-Marc

I have one to the left of my right tilt Uni. I really like it. I might not like it as well if I didn't have an incra fence that I can pull across and use as the router fence. So I really don't have an set up issue that the saw interferes with. I just lower the blade and drag the fence across to the router table. I have a quick lift on the router which lets me quickly raise and lower the router bit when I need to route something. The added table area is handy for large panels. I did take the left extension off the saw and moved it to the right side of the saw. So my left and right extensions are on the right side of the saw table. I use this router much more than my router table. Ken
I have one on the left side of my Craftsman saw. Put both ribbed iron extensions on the right side. Saw table is now about six feet wide.
One this I did do was to make supports for the wings that run down at an angle to the saw base legs. That way there is no sag in the ends of the wings. I use both the saw fence and separate router fence depending on the job.