lathe banjo
I changed the swing on my PM 90 from 12" to 20" so now I need to get a new banjo. My question is which to get a oneway or a powermatic banjo. The price for a oneway is $291 plus tax and shipping for the Powermatic it is $249 no tax and that us shipped on ebay. The cost difference isn't much but if there is no real advantage I will choose the cheaper. Any users have a preference.

If you mean the PM3520 Banjo, that would be my last choice. I have a 3520B and I would prefer a smaller and lighter banjo. The casting is 19" long and would allow turning a 25" diameter cylinder with the casting fully seated on the bedways. The banjo alone weighs 30 lbs.
For your reference, the width of the 3520 bed is 8" and the space between ways is 2.5". If your ways are not 2.5" apart, you would have to modify the clamp.
My order of preference would be:
Robust
OneWay
??
PM
Nice to see the lathe and it looks great.

I like my Powermatic since it allows me to put extra live centers in it. I do not think the Oneway does.
Also why can't you put blocks under the tail stock?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It is a banjo from a 3520b and the bed gap on mine is 2.5". I wonder what a robust banjo costs? I am assuming a lot more then the other options. I was Leaning towards a oneway just wanted to check what the Powermatic owners have to say. As far as the weight goes my risers blocks were made out of steel so one big disadvantage of that is the tailstock now weighs 94lbs. I like making bowls so I don't use the tailstock that often. Thanks for your input on the PM banjo
Arlin Eastman said:

Also why can't you put blocks under the tail stock?

Arlin

I think you meant banjo if so it wouldn't come out far enough with the bigger swing. Another problem I've heard is it would cause to much stress on the banjo. I'm not sure about that though. Thanks for your comments on the lathe I like the older tools.
Silly me I thought you were talking about the Tail Stock. My bad.

I do know there is a difference in hole sized between both of them where the oneway takes a MM instead of Inch size.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I suppose it would depend on the banjo and lathe as to what would really fit. In my experience the gap is only part of the equation. the thickness of the ways and maybe more important is the bracing of the ways, id it has braces.
Will the clamping mechanism fit between the braces or might you have to do some grinding on one brand vs the other? is the banjo your thinking about buying able to clamp thinner or thicker ways?Theres not a whole lot of adjustment on some of them.

Here is another option. I'm the first to admit it's not the best option but it can be workable. Notice the brace under the extension. I would never use an extension with out it.
I haven't used a Powermatic lathe, but I have used both a 16" Jet and two different Oneway lathes. If the cost isn't a concern I would definitely recommend the Oneway banjo. When you tighten the handles, the Oneway banjo is solid. With the Jet banjo it just seems like it's harder to be sure everything is tight, and sometimes the toolrest will start pivoting in the banjo. It's a big enough difference that I have considered getting a Oneway banjo for my Jet lathe. I would expect the Powermatic banjo to be similar in design and function to the Jet.
Thanks I think I will get a oneway I know what to expect from them. The robust banjos from what I could see on the website was $395 plus shipping and tax.
On my General they just put an extension on the standard banjo

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning