Anyone use this finish before?
Has anyone used Sherwin Williams acrylic conversion coating? I am starting to spray a lot more of my finishes and can usually get good deals at my local Sherwin Williams store. They recommended this finish as the best option for me. Curious if anyone has used it and what they thought of it.
I spray a acrylic conversion varnish from Sherwin Williams. It's this one. Is this what you mean?

I've sprayed a few gallons on pieces. It is an interesting finish. The activating agent is applied in very small ratio's, and since i typically only mix a quart or so at a time, I had to steal some teaspoon measuring from my wife's kitchen. It also requires you to thin with Xlene, 15% on first coat, 5% on subsequent coats, so it's quite the mixing operation when you're first preparing it.

I spray with a FUJI HVLP, and it goes on kind of mottled at first - I know the first time I sprayed it, I was pretty distraught and left the shop in a huff, but then I came back 10 minutes later and it had flowed out pretty nice. So I put a few more coats on. The best thing about this finish is the 30 min dry time. You can re-coat really fast. No more waiting around for hours to do a finish job.

As far as the finish - one thing that I really don't like is that you can't rub it out, so what you get from spraying is what you get. So you need to lay it down really good.

On casework, it's a nice finish - and it's now my go-to finish for casework.
Here is an example of some casework.

For surface / slabs / high grain finishes, I really think it mutes the wood grain. here is an example of a maple burl that was OK, but not striking like I get with french polish or Behlen's rockhard.
Thurman
Portland, OR
I'm looking at a different one

It's this one

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products...version-coating

I don't want to have to be constantly mixing. I'm told this is self sealing and sprayable right from the can.
Interesting.

Reading the PDS on this one & what I use, they are very similar. The one you are thinking about does include "Rub: 4hrs " while the one I use does specifically state that " Good “hang” on vertical surfaces " while the one you are looking at does not.

The pre-cat does have a shelf life where the catalyzed that I'm using I think can sit for a while. As long as you can use all the product in the 6 months you have since it was mixed, you should be good. Can you get it in a gallon?
Thurman
Portland, OR