Could it be true?
A review on Amazon of the Leigh jig rtj 400 accessory kit claims the bits are Chinese. The reviewer says the bits are unmarked, but he recognizes Chinese bits. Could this be true, if so it's very disappointing .
Answer to my question from Leigh

To answer your query as accurately as possible the RTJ 400 is broken down by country of origin thus;

65% North America (US and Canada)
24% Taiwan
11% China

The main body of the RTJ 400, that being the Template and Frame, are made from extruded aluminum which is produced in Portland, Oregon.
The CNC machining of those two parts is done at Leigh's facility in British Columbia, Canada, as is the assembly and packaging of the jig.
The Guide bushings are indeed made in China to our specifications.
The Carbide Tipped Router Bits supplied with the jig are made in Taiwan by a manufacturer we have been dealing with for over 30 years and who also supply many North American distributors of Router Bits.
The High Speed Spiral Router Bits supplied in the Accessory Kit (ACRTJ) are made by Onsrud out of Illinois.
All of our offshore suppliers have been visited by our company President, prior to doing business with them, in order to ascertain that they
are capable of producing parts to our specifications and the quality that we require.

Hopefully this answers any concerns you may have.
Should you have any further questions regarding our products or company we will be happy to answer them.

Sincerely
Steven Grisley
Vice President Operations
Leigh ind's Ltd
1615 Industrial Avenue
Port Coquitlam BC
Canada

1-800-663-8932

-----Original Message-----
Sent: April-07-16 3:11 PM
To: Leigh Customer Service <leigh@leighjigs.com>
Subject: Rtj 400 accessory kit
mbw said:

A review on Amazon of the Leigh jig rtj 400 accessory kit claims the bits are Chinese. The reviewer says the bits are unmarked, but he recognizes Chinese bits. Could this be true, if so it's very disappointing .

Now I don't have one but if it works as promised, why do you care???
YSU65 said:

[blockquote]mbw said:

[/blockquote]

"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
YSU65 said:

[blockquote]mbw said:

[/blockquote]

Yes they do work as promised and are every bit as good as people claim.

<...Leigh Junkie with 3 DT jigs (plus templates) and an FMT.
My feeling is , and this applies to any number of products. I have no problem with companies who produce products in Asia for purposes of obtaining a lower price point. However when companies like Leigh who produce items at the high end of pricing to all their competition I'm troubled.
YSU65 said:

[blockquote]mbw said:

[/blockquote]

+1

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

mbw said:

My feeling is , and this applies to any number of products. I have no problem with companies who produce products in Asia for purposes of obtaining a lower price point. However when companies like Leigh who produce items at the high end of pricing to all their competition I'm troubled.

The country of origin is not the issue. It is the specs of the item that is specified by the vendor to the manufacturer. Yes, the same factories produce Harbor Freight quality as they do high quality. It all has to do with what the manufacturer's customer ( ie. Lee Valley, Leigh Industries, ect) specifies. If they specifiy junk quality then they get junk quality. Its as simple as that! China is just as capable of producing extremely high quality goods as anyone else. They produce spacecraft which have to, by necessity, be made to very high tolerances.
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
I just think it is great that a company will respond with that kind of info. Nowadays that isn't too common, except with quality companies.
JMHO
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
kscott said:

I just think it is great that a company will respond with that kind of info. Nowadays that isn't too common, except with quality companies.
JMHO

Yep, Ken. My sentiments also. Ken
Ken