Back on the bandsaw search
A while back I was asking about band saws in the 19-20" range and now that I have 20" band saw, I picked up for a decent price I have to admit my eyes were way bigger than my shop. I'm just going to clean it up, install the upgrade guides and flip it. Looking at band saws again I've narrowed it down to the grizzly 17" or the rikon 18" . Anything else I should look for in the $1000-1500 price range? I would like to use it as an all around shop BS and will not be just doing resawing, but would like a decent resaw machine with at least 12" of capacity. The fence on the grizzly seems to be a lot better, but the rikon has some more power and capacity. I found grizzlys site to be a bit frustrating with having a good half dozen different priced 17" saws with no real easy way to tell what features were different. I found info that in the past there has been some decent sales on the Rikon at woodcraft, is there a good time to catch one of those sales?

Bob
There are many of us that have some model of the GO513. The lowest model came with Euro guides, aluminum wheels, and as you moved up the line, you get bearing guides, cast iron wheels and trunnions, and a foot brake. I have the x2 model, which has the cast iron wheels and trunnions and the bearing guides ( though I took them off ) and think it is a pretty well made saw for the price. I think most posts say the Rikon is as good as the Grizzly, and for some, sales pricing and shipping plays a role in which was cheaper. I doubt you would go wrong with either. BTW, the stock blade that comes with the saw is beyond horrible, so make sure you get a decent blade or two to start.
Have you looked at this comparison chart from Grizzly?
http://www.grizzly.com/compare?category=Bandsaws_Wood
Ag
Ha, nope. Most sites that do comparisons have a check box you can check and compare. I wasn't looking for a tool somewhere else, which I guess from taking a look was right at the top.

Thanks
Most welcome!
Good hunting!
Ag
I have the older version of the Rikon 18, and love it. If you head that way WoodCraft used to have it 1/3 off at 999 once or twice a year. Haven't paid attentionto the sales having one now, but same saw at 1/3 off makes for a nice deal.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bob I would check this one out!http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-18-inch-bandsaw.aspx
I recently purchased the 18" Rikon 10-341 at a dealer local to me that price matched the same model at Highland hardware priced at $999.00 with slightly less power 2 HP more resaw height 13 1/4" slightly smaller table.
I put it in a basement shop and needed the shorter height 73" vs 76" so far so good.
Tim
FWIW, I've had the 0514X2 for several years now, and for a just over $1500 you get 19", a 3hp motor, cast iron wheels, a foot brake and a surprisingly good resaw fence. It's been able to handle everything I've put to it and has exceeded my expectations without a hiccup. Might be bigger than you think you want. I'd buy it again for sure, best value out there for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis