I got in
For several years I was in the local art/craft show. It was in our tiny town, but a decent show. I enjoyed it and made a little money. Sadly, the show folded last year due to lack of volunteers. Without a show to prepare for, I was kind of adrift when it came to turning. I'm in a gallery as well, but they sell just a few pieces per year so it is easy to keep them stocked. Well this Spring, I made the leap and applied to be in the best show in the area.

I was a little worried about getting in. I attend every year, and they have really great exhibitors. Well, I got in! I'm pretty excited, but also a little anxious. My best stuff is good enough, but I don't have enough of the top material. I'm tempted to give away a lot of my filler material to force me to really step up. Also my booth/display is decent, but not top end. I have my work cut out for me.

Show isn't until September, so I guess I have time. I'm making a Christmas ornament display now. Need to stock up on pens. And then make some really funky bowls to catch people's eye.
Glad you got into a better show and I know you will step up to the challenge.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Best advice I can give for any one doing shows is to have some of everything. Small items and things that aren't fancy still sell well at 'art' shows. You may move a few more of the more expensive items at the bigger shows, but variety always works, at least for me...

Have fun!

robo hippy
Best of luck to you Frank, hope you do well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks for the support, fellas.

Reed, that is good advice. I do have a range of items. But I have some plates and platters that no one ever even glances at. I schelp them around to fill out the booth, but I think I need to leave them home this time.
Before I moved to Hawaii, I did a lot of those shows. For the higher end shows you need a professional display. Very few homemade ones ever really make the cut. I suggest using something called Propanels. Pricey, but worth it if you're going to keep doing shows. If this is an outdoor show, get a nice tent, no "Easy-Ups".
After we spent the big bucks, our sales went way up.

*i have no connection with ProPanels except being a customer.
VH07V  
Thanks, I'll check them out.